Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I haven't done that yet because I didn't know if my E-drive is dirty or not. But I guess I'll be doing that now. I'll let you know.
Do you want me just to let it idle while in selective startup? Or should I actually use my computer while doing this?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 28 January 2007 - 05:17 PM.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Well it's been about a full day, and no blue screens at all. Should I give it some more time?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if we can find out which startup is causing the problem.

Go back to msconfig. Under the "General" tab, put the tick back in the Normal Startup checkbox...then, under the "Startup" tab, click on the "Disable All" button, and then tick the top 5 startup items. "Apply" the changes. Reboot the machine and run it for a while...if you get no BSOD's, go back and tick the next 5 (now 10 with ticks), and run the machine again. Do this until you start getting BSOD's again...the problem will be with one of the last 5 enabled before the BSOD's started again.

See where we're going with this?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Wait wannabe1, I spoke too soon. I left the room for a while and when I came back I had a wonderful present:
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're getting an awful lot of memory allocation errors. How old is your HDD?

So...this last blue screen came with all the startup items disabled? If that's the case, enable them all, and "Apply" the change.

Let's move on to the services. Under the "Sevices" tab, tick the box to "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then disable what is left. "Apply" the change and reboot. Run the machine for a while.

Note: Your Antivirus will likely be disabled while doing this...No Surfing during this portion of troubleshooting.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I bought my system drive on the 9th of last November. All the other drives are less than a year old.

There were a few of the startup programs that I did enable manually, I probably shouldn't have done that. So I'm going to let it idle again without doing that, just to make sure. And then I'll do this.

I never got a chance to ask before but will just letting the computer idle with nothing going on, be enough for testing?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would be better to work it a little if you can.

Usually when you start to see a lot of memory allocation errors, it's indicative of a HDD going bad, but if your drives are fairly new...at least the root drive...we'll keep looking for a problem with the software.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
What would you define as "work it", like watching movies and listening to music or somthing?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whatever you usually are doing when the BSOD's show up.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So I should turn on my message programs and stuff, even if they are on the startup list?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nothing that's under the startup tab...let's leave all those out of the equation for the moment.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok, It's been 2 days and I've been careful not to run any programs in startup. Now I'm going to do what you mentioned in post 108.

EDIT: I thought to enter in "fsutil dirty query e:" into DOS itself and the report came back as dirty. Is there a way to fix this? Or is it time for me to get a refund?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 31 January 2007 - 10:54 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got a blue screen while I had the first five processes in msconfig going. I was also running winamp, firefox, notepad, and powerpoint.
The five processes I have checked off are:
NvCpl
amd_dc_opt
ccApp
aim6
ctfmon
Posted Image
And then while booting back up during chdsk for drive e: I got this
Posted Image
Also after about 3 to 4 hours the computer just gets DEAD SLOW, one by one the programs I'm running just freeze up and stop responding. When I open up the task manager I see that nothing is maxing out the CPU or anything else that I can see, and I can usually terminate the processes that I'm running there as well. Although it really doesn't matter much because I can't get windows to actually shut down (logging off takes like 10 minutes and then I get a black screen with the mouse pointer on it). Its at this time I just hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then boot back up.
If you need more details please let me know.

EDIT: Also got this one with the conditions described at the top.
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 02 February 2007 - 01:39 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are those five eneabled? If so, disable them one at a time and run the machine a while to see if it blue screens. The last one you disable when the machine stops blue screening should be the problem.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I thought to enter in "fsutil dirty query e:" into DOS itself and the report came back as dirty.

Any thoughts on what course of action to take with this?