Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent help!

• Please log in to reply

Omega43

Omega43

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello To all members,

Right now i am in a big mess and would like the help of the members here. Ill try to explain my problem clearly..
Long story short..

Early today i was installing service pack 2 for windows xp when all of a sudden my computer just restarted out of nowhere and during installation... Next while it would load windows again it would again restart/powerdown completely without windows ever loading fully. So basically there is no way for me to access anything..
So what i did was try to run boot up by disk. I tried to do a repair by using my windows cd. It looked fine until it got to windows setup.. When it got there it asked me for a driver .. I think something to deal with usb.. ( it was during the installing drivers process) It's called usbehci.sys. It suppose to be in c:\windows\temp but doesnt read anything..
Since it could not find the file i could not continue with the installation and the computer would restart.. i tried to do a last known good configuration it would do nothing...
So what i decided to do was install windows on my hard drive again.. But i was afriad that it would delete all my important info so instead of saving the installation file on c:\windows I named a new folder called OS BACkUP and it installed from there using the windows cd. Everything installed correctly but i cant access my old files.. Its not deleted thats for sure because i have my programs in tact.. But None of my previous user names are there.. It basically looks like a fresh version of windows xp.
Also when i start my computer now it gives me the choice of two OS... Windows xp home, and windows xp home.. obviously one is the fresh windows install and the other is my old files still frozen in the installation setup bug....

I hope this all made sense.. Any advice? Is there a way to fuse the two?

I will love the person who can help me through this!

Thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Omega43...

First, Take Ownership of the files you need and move them to the new operating system. Once you have all your files back, let me know and we'll remove the old operating system and straighten out the prompt at boot.

wannabe1

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I have transfered the appropriate file i needed for the installation. And it worked! Thanks alot.. But i rather much stay with the old setup then the new one.. So how can i get rid of the new one i made as the temporary? And the prompt at the boot to choose os.

Thanks for your help again... I really needed to hear a 2nd opinion before i made my move.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool...

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Uncer the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the resulting window, click the "Edit" button.

A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it to your next reply.

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It goes as follows..

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BACKUP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BACKUP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Will i have to manually uninstall windows from that side?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From the original installation, open C: and right click on the extra windows folder (backup). Choose "Delete" and confirm the deletion.

Copy the red text below. Open the boot.ini file, right click in the text field, and choose "Select All". Right click again and choose "Paste". Click on "File" on the notepad toolbar and choose "Save".

Reboot

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

Everything seems to be in working condition.. I did have problems with my video card but i think i have resolved them...

One little thing.. When i boot up windows i still get this...

Posted Image

How do i adjust it so windows just boots up like normal before this mess?

Thanks in advance

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you paste the contents of your boot.ini file here for me again? How To

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
[operating systems]

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
boot.ini looks fine.

In the same window as the "Edit" button, remove the tick from the box next to "Time to display list of operating systems" and "Apply" the change.

Reboot. Do you still get the prompt?

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
that was def not a good thing to do...

When i did that my system would do a restart loop... Any other ideals? To get back into windows i hit f8 and selected os...

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
what if i click on " set as default" in the boot.ini tab within msconfig? Do you think that would work?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tick the box again...Apply the change.

Click on the "Default Operating System" drop down menu just above the check box. What are the listed choices?

Omega43

Omega43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
only one is listed..

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Should i try the msconfig option that i mentioned above?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup.