Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Boot up, stuck in a loop?

• Please log in to reply

ImSleeping

ImSleeping

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Whats up yall... first post here, but have got lots of good information here from the past.. heres my problem:

I bought all new parts from newegg and built a computer from scratch. Put everything together and started it right up and it was perfect.. it detected the sata drive, cd rom, etc all of that. So I boot from cd rom to install windows next. I format the new drive, then continue .. it copies some sytem files shortly, then says its restarting... it restarts . shows motherboard info, and runs its checks, then when it should go back into the install, it restarts and goes to motherboard info again. and does that in a a loop

so i tried to run recovery console (cuz i can stil choose to boot from cd) but then i would just be installing again up only until it restarts...

i ran chkdsk /r and its doing that now... the initial quick check said everything is fine...

any suggestions? thanks in advance.. oh here are the specs

Gigabyte board
AMD 2.8 dual core am2 socket
2 gigs of corsair ram
LG cd rom
Roswill 500 watt power supply
Western Digital s-ata 400 gb drive

and thats all that is there.. no other things are plugged.. well just mouse and keyboad obvisouly and montior... but no pci slots, or that mumbo jumbo

Edited by ImSleeping, 10 December 2006 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

ImSleeping

ImSleeping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i just found this post of a similiar problem? but i guess he didnt post his results.... !!

but maybe it is something with the sata drive?? this is my first experience with them, i would thin kthough if its detected and windows loads initial setup on it, im good to go... but he said he had that same thing happen.. then it would restart and youd have to reinstall again, didnt remember that it was alreyad in midinstall ... hmmm

im so lost.... heh

http://www.geekstogo...s...l=loop&st=0

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hmm.. let me give it a shot.

Do you have 2 sticks of RAM?

ImSleeping

ImSleeping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes

both 1 gig each

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok... We will run a test on each of the sticks Put one stick in at a time. Download this program
http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

Save it to a floppy... than boot up with that floppy in the drive and let it run its test. Give it about 3-5hours of testing. (Its best to do it overnight.)

ImSleeping

ImSleeping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yea actually it was the ram... heh i went to start it up today.. and it did the continuous long beeps and didnt load up.... so i took one stick out.. and it was fine.. i put that good ram in every slot and it was fine except for slot 1 where it did the beeps? so do i have a bad ram slot as well?? the other stick of "bad" ram gave the beeps when it was in every slot....

i have the "good" ram in slot 2 and computer runs perfect... never had a problem with corsair ram before..

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Had a feeling it was the RAM.... glad you figure it out!