Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp install problems with cd-rom

• Please log in to reply

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Trying to install Xp home, and the process goes about to the point of 34 minutes to go. AT this point an error comes up and says setup can not load installer for cd-rom. Of course at this time the keyboard and mouse do not work to get rid of the box. We have tried 4 different cd-roms, and a dvd-rw, and nothing has worked.

Previously Xp pro (non- genuine) was on the computer. My Father in law had problems so he bought Xp home (new install), so that he would have a valid OS. The only way we got it last time to work was to load Pro after several attempts, then once we ere on, load Home onto a partition. It worked for a while.

Then the other day, he comes home and turns the computer on and as it went to the desktop, all of his settings and background and pictures were somehow reset to the Windows Default.. He lost his e-mails and addresses off the HD.

Anyway, any help with the error?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fatass...

An installation hang at 34 minutes is usually hardware related. Disconnect everything from the machine that you don't need to do the install and let it try to complete...a couple of times if necessary. USB devices are particularly good at causing this problem.

wannabe1

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah, wouldn't you know it. About 5 minutes after I Tell my father in law to disconnect everything, sure enough it goes through.

This time the mouse stayed on but then we got another message:

Windows could not load the installer for diskdrive. Contact your hardware vendor.

That came up about three times. Then it got hungup at 22 minutes remaining and just kind of sat there and didn't do anything.

This is a new install with a valid copy, and only one HD hooked up.

:whistling: :blink: :help: :)
Okay so now it is Monday. He got the program loaded, but the only thing that comes up is the menu about starting windows normally or safe boots and last known config. Tried all of those and all it does is reboot back to that screen.

Edited by LowSelfEsteem, 11 December 2006 - 09:43 PM.

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well it is Tuesday and I have not worked on the computer in question, but I did turn it on.

What we have is a problem activating windows:

Problem is preventing windows from accurately checking license for this computer Error code:0x800703e6

I looked it up on the support site for xp, and it didn't have that error code. All the computer does is go to the login screen, but won't go any farther. If you click on the login, is just saves settings and then logs off

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if method 2 helps

http://support.micro...kb/306081/en-us

It lists a different error code but is to replace damaged activation files

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the info. My father in law actually put another hard drive in (one that had problems before but fixed) and got it to work. I suggested he back everything up onto disk and wipe the drives clean. Not by doing a frmat in Windows, but doing it with an outside program.

Thanks for your help though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C