Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista must be bought?

• Please log in to reply

jaymuzii

jaymuzii

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've just bought a new computer recently and it is Windows XP genuine. Is it possible to use this CD key for vista? or it can only be run on it's own CD key?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No. You will need to get a legit and new Windows Vista Key. You can only use your XP cd key once and you most likely used it to install it on the computer you are using.

jaymuzii

jaymuzii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ooh thanks, and by once do you mean, if i format my computer and use this CD key again, it won't be genuine anymore?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
by once, yield means once at any given time. I.E. if you've got 2 computers in your house...you can only use the cdkey that came with the os (or computer) on ONE computer at any given time. you are allowed to activate windows 5 times before you have to use the telephone activationi option with microsoft.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Wait.. so you can activate windows xp with the same key 5 times via online opition??

vise

vise

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I believe so. I think he's saying that you can activate any computer with the CD-Key 5 times, be it only one Key per computer, and after the 5th time you need to phone Microsoft to get it activated again.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
ALRIGHT AWESOME!

I am doing a reformatt tomorrow and I needed to know that! thanks for the info gang.

andrewmonk

andrewmonk

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
How does the Windows Vista Operating System differ from Windows XP?

Does it offer any new features, that XP doesn't have?

Thank you,

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

How does the Windows Vista Operating System differ from Windows XP?

Does it offer any new features, that XP doesn't have?

Thank you,

Kind of hijacked a thread that doesn't even relate to your questions, now didn't yah? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's alright, Comrade General...Let me answer this way:

Once you have used Vista for a while, you will find it difficult to go back to XP. :whistling:

Advertisements

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes vista must be bought... In regards to XP key, I've reformatted 'one' of my drives over 500 times, using the same windows key and re-registering with windows online each time.. Did i see the number 5 somewhere?..

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
500 :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As a general rule you get 5 times before they pay attention after that itll only work online if you don't change the hardware in any way.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Yes vista must be bought...

Not necessarily. Depending on which computer you purchased, as long as it is "Windows Vista Compatible", the company that made the computer should give you a FREE upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

HP, Compaq, Sony, and Toshiba are the only four that come to mind, but I am pretty sure most of them do it.

Although there is debate as to whether or not buying Vista would be better than upgrading to it....

Edited by UV_Power, 11 January 2007 - 02:10 AM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
You will need at the very least the networking drivers (you truly have no idea if Vista will detect your network card during the install).

Upgrading… uh… no. I have tried upgrading from XP 10 times and all 10 times it was not worth the pain. A good 30% of my apps blew up and getting them uninstalled, and then tracking down a Vista version (not a lot available right now) was just a pain in the buttocks. Set aside a couple of hours and have all your Office CD’s ready and start from scratch. Trust me when I tell you upgrading is a very aggravating process right now.

For those who bought their PC’s from OEM’s… my recommendation to you is to call or check out their website and see if they are offering a free Vista upgrade or if they offer an option for you to purchase Vista from them. For those who don’t want to tackle a true "base" upgrade, if you can get Vista on a CD from the company you bought your computer from that CD will have all the Vista drivers you need to get it installed (or upgraded). I would say if you bought your PC in the last year you should have a good shot at getting a Vista CD from your OEM.