Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows gone wild!

• Please log in to reply

Mrguy11

Mrguy11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything similar.. the computer I use for work intermittently goes totally out of control...every few weeks of uptime I get windows and menus popping up all over the screen ( not IE windows...Its NOT online), they open then close like the machine was possesed and I have to do a cold reboot to regain control.
I guess the best way to describe it would be like when your PC freezes temporarily and you continuously click things until it "unfreezes" at which point everything youve been clicking comes up at once, only they do not stay open and you cannot regain control.

Any thoughts?

PS: I cannot run Hijack This on it as it is a company PC whos uptime is important.. but any ideas would be appreciated

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you burn highjack this from another computer and install it if you have a printer then print your hijack log and attach it here but at the malware forum

little bit or work but not impossible

Mrguy11

Mrguy11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's not really the labour involved rather the permission to run third party software..I realize this makes things a little difficult, I was hoping someone had encountered it before.
If it helps at all though..I'm not convinced its malware since it's only connected to a private network that no users have access to except myself (and my employers..of course)

Edited by Mrguy11, 12 December 2006 - 09:33 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well theres the possibility of malware getting in

could get in through infected cd a computer not connected should not get infected if

do you have any virus protection

when updates are coming in they may not be alone

you should have a good pop-blocker some toolbars have some good ones

but it sounds like that the pop-ups or the malware gets excited when you get connected to the web

if you have a technician that looks after the computers in your office notify him of the situation

he will fix that for you

you could check to see if windows pop-up blocker is on

but not sure if its gonna help you though

on the top of your screen >>go to tools>>internet options>>privacy tab>>put check mark in pop-blocker>>click apply and ok>>then ok again to close

good luck

Mrguy11

Mrguy11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually I am the technician that looks after these computers..the one I'm describing is a 2 hour drive from the office and I was hoping on saving some time by getting a few ideas on what could cause an issue like this...after a bit of thought however Im becoming more and more convinced that it may be a hardware issue so i might try posting this same question in the HW forum.

Thx for the advice.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
just what kinda pop-ups your getting any way

you cant post in 2 forums a moderator will move your post or this one will get absorb in the system but hey all the best to you

a friend of mines have that docit share and they use trend
internet security not a filing cabinet in any of there offices

Mrguy11

Mrguy11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
they aren't "pop-ups" in the usual Internet Browser sense but just various Explorer windows (My Computer; Documents, Right click menus, start menu items etc...) Almost as if someone were clicking ad-lib all over the screen in a rapid motion.
Kind of a pain to drive 2 hours every couple of weeks just to reboot it...

It only occurs after a couple of weeks of uptime..very intermittent. It only runs one program which is like a type of presentation that continuously scrolls.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok not sure what uptime is

maybe you should go over there and run a repair with the xp cd

or if you thinks it hardware then it could a defect or malfunction with computer and recent installments

printer maybe

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Eh, if it's only running one app, and it just sits up all the time, just re-image it. It sounds like there's no new data on there that matters, just the initial install, so all you would be wiping would be your problem.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Up-time is when all is going hunkey dory, and the end of up-time comes as a complete let down, to down-time, when the techie has to go out into the cold and repair the unit :help:

This may sound odd...but a Windows Install does degrade over time...it gets a lot of buffetting, espsecially if, as you say, the prog is scrolling endlessly on a loop...as do a lot of software progs.

>Have you tired re-installing the single app to see if it affects anything?
>Is there a particular function that gets used intermittantly, and subsequently the problems start?
>Is there a particular point in the scroll that might activate the issue?
>Are there specific "other files" that are called upon by the "engine" [what the shortcuts link back to, from the task bar or desktop] of the prog, that may affect the program or Windows?
>Are all the drivers needed for the prog updated?

You will need to just lift rocks to see if any serpents are hiding under them... :whistling:

For the future...load PC-Anywhere on both systems...charge it to "expenses." :blink:

In the interim...can Trend's House Call be run on the satellite system? ...through your site...it sounds like you have some sort of server control over it...

There are other off-site progs to run out there...but I like this one...biased!

And "the boss" need never know, since nothing dangerous loads to your system...

Edited by b1caez01, 15 December 2006 - 09:15 AM.

Mrguy11

Mrguy11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thx...Im going to try re-imaging next time i have to reboot it..if all else fails I'm going to start pulling hardware...

Thx for the suggestions