Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comparing graphics cards and laptops according to games

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
I'm not entirely sure that this post belongs here, but lemme try anyway:

I'm looking into buying a new laptop and would like to know how it would perform with certain games (3 in particular).

Firsly i'm looking at the HP Pavillion DV6145eu (1.6ghz processor, 1024mb RAM and an NVidia Geforce Go 7200 graphics card, among other things). How would this system handle Doom3, Quake4 and Half Life2?

Secondly i'm looking at a Dell D620 (2ghz processor, 1024mb RAM and an Intel GMA 950 graphics card). How will above-mentioned games run on this system?

(The question overall then being: Do i go with the NVidia card at the cost of a 'weaker' processor or the stronger processor with the 'weaker' graphics card specifically relating to the games i mentioned)

Advertisements

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey blackhalo,

If your looking at buying any new computers then I would get the system Specs for the games you want to play and match them up to a computer so you won't be dissapointed.

Another thing if you get a computer with intel graphics you will almost haver to upgrade your graphics to play any games today.

The Dell D620 wouldn't be a good laptop to be playing games on but you should be able to pls\ay Halo Life 2.

The HP Pavillion DV6145eu could possibly play all the games but probly not very nicely because of the processing speeds.

Hope I've helped, Merry Christmas :whistling:

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Thank ya :whistling: Another contender has come into the ring today:

I found an Alienware Area 51m 7700 on a bidding site here in South Africa this morning. Very good price and it's built up pretty well. User says it is in immaculate condition. Now this machine obviously matches all criteria for above games and would run them effortlessly, but i'm VERY skeptic about buying second-hand (ESPECIALLY when it comes to PC's).

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Blackhalo I personally will never and never have brought a second hand machine unless I positively know it's a great computer in mint condition Lol.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Lol, isn't that the major issue with second hand stuff? Nah, i've decided in the past 20 mins or so (i find it hard to keep my mind made up....) that i'm not going the second-hand route.The risks are just way too high (my main worry being no warranty).

I've set my sites on a TOSHIBA Satellite Series M70-198 Notebook. It's got a 2Ghz processor (Pentium i think), 1024MB DDR2-533 SO-Dimm Memory (2x512), 80GB SATA 5400rpm Hard Drive, and an ATI X700 (256MB) graphics card. I think that should be sufficient for my purposes (purposes being awesome games and high-resource development programs as i'm going to study Graphic Design next year, lol).

(Btw: COD is one of the coolest games like EVER)

Edited by BlackHalo, 13 December 2006 - 06:41 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well most laptops will struggle with games the x700 is good better than most but its not even close to the desktop versions power, if you can the best card available at a reasonable price is the 7600 i would try and get a lapper with that if you can. Youll need at least 1Gb of ram as well, preferably 2.

For graphic design laptops aren't the best thing not really enough power unless you have a larger budget. Also try and get something with an Intel Core2 or Solo or AMD Turion X2.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
warriorscot,

*sigh* I wish :blink: lol, unfortunately i'm on a tight budget as well (being a student and all). I've got a max of about R12000 to spend (South African Rands), so the Toshiba is basically the best machine i can get for that price (here it costs R12325).

I've actually seen a model which had the exact specs you mentioned, but it's going to set me back at last R22100. :whistling:

For the graphic design stuff i basically just need the pc to be able to run PhotoShop, Dreamweaver and Fireworks without too much effort (I'm on a HP Compaq nx9010 atm and it's struggling big-time with these programs, taking ages to load some things).

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
warriorscot,

*sigh* I wish :blink: lol, unfortunately i'm on a tight budget as well (being a student and all). I've got a max of about R12000 to spend (South African Rands), so the Toshiba is basically the best machine i can get for that price (here it costs R12325).

I've actually seen a model which had the exact specs you mentioned, but it's going to set me back at last R22100. :whistling:

For the graphic design stuff i basically just need the pc to be able to run PhotoShop, Dreamweaver and Fireworks without too much effort (I'm on a HP Compaq nx9010 atm and it's struggling big-time with these programs, taking ages to load some things).

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
BlackHalo, take a look at some of the laptops at

http://www.cyberpowerpc.co.uk/

I've just ordered a laptop from there the specs follow:

AMD Turion X2 Dual Core 1.8GHz 33Watt Processor
2048MB DDR667 Corsair Value RAM
120GB SATA-150 5400RPM HDD
15.4" Widescreen XVGA (Glossy)
nVidia GeForce Go 7600 /w 256MB dedicated memory

I have to say it hasn't come yet, but when it does I'll tell you what its like!