Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application failed TAPI32.dll not found

• Please log in to reply

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
.dll copied into correct folder and everything seems to be fine - no more error messages and Windows Firewall works.

It was so simple at the end - why was I so paranoid about destroying the OS? .dll fears? too many bits and pieces in Windows?

Thank you again for your help

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

It was so simple at the end - why was I so paranoid about destroying the OS? .dll fears? too many bits and pieces in Windows?

Glad you were able to fix the problem you were having.

I know what you mean. If I do an operation I'm not familiar with, I have a concern of my system self destructing. One way to ease the "fears" is to go into forums such as this one, read about the problems folks are having and how these problems were solved. Basically educating one's self.

Another good way to ease the fears is to have a backup HDD. Prices on hard drives have come down substantially in the past few years. I have a Western Digital 80GB internal HDD that I placed in an external casing and connected to my PC by way of USB2. I used Acronis 8 (10 is the latest version) to clone my master HDD on to the backup HDD. I do a weekly image of the master HDD to the backup HDD just to keep it up to date. I do a daily synchronizing of files from the master HDD to the backup HDD with a program called SyncBack SE.

From there, I then backup from the backup HDD Windows, Documents and Settings, and Program Files to DVD for an extra measure of safety (tell me I'm not paranoid!). This way should I do something I wasn't suppose to (and I have in the past), I can always replace files on the master HDD.

Should I fry my OS (I have an HP PC, didn't come with the XP Home cd, has a lousey recovery partition) or my master HDD gives up the ghost, I can pull the master and replaced it with the backup HDD. Back in business.

I realize not everyone can afford to buy hard drives, Acronis software, and external cases. I'm just one of the working folk that had to save pennies to purchase the necessary items, but the peace of mind it brought was well worth it.

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Good advice - I actually have a 250 GB external USB HDD that I have been using only to back up My Documents from both my computers. I will look into Acronis Software.
Thank you again.