Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jasoneric

jasoneric

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello,

i am hoping someone more knowledgeable can give me some advice on what to buy.

i am looking for a new motherboard / processor combo . i have approximately $150 to spend on it. i know thats not a ton but i have found quite a few on pricewatch that look decent, but i dont know jack about motherboards really.

i have a geforce fx 5700 video card - which will need an AGP slot. I have DDR- PC 3200 RAM if that matters (hopefully can find something compatible, if not then not much i can do but get new ram)

here is where im shopping
http://www.pricewatc.../306/306-30.htm

I currently have an msi motherboard that will not run a new game i have, Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

I am not sure what i should be looking at, and the selection is overwhelming.

any advice, tips, do and dont may save me alot of time and possible hardship

thank you, jason

www.myspace.com/nadiv :whistling:

Edited by jasoneric, 12 December 2006 - 07:53 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If you want to use your current video card, you need to limit your selection to motherboards with an AGP video slot. Also if you want to use the PC3200 ram you have, that will eliminate AM2 motherboards. Many of those on your pricewatch link have PCI-E video, and some were AM2. There are still AGP motherboards to be had, just a little harder to find now. I recently put together a system with a Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 motherboard (AGP) PC3200 ram that I found on Ebay (new for $57.00) and a AMD 3500 CPU from Newegg for $87.00. Newegg may have some combos that will work for you. Just be careful to read the specs carefully to get what you want.

Edited by austin_o, 13 December 2006 - 07:55 AM.