Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Ed. Browser Problem

• Please log in to reply

Dan Casper

Dan Casper

• Pip
  • 7 posts
First post to this site, but I've read good things in the past, so here goes.

I am working on repairing a co-workers' system for her. She's running WinXP Home Ed. patched to SP2, all applicable updates.

Currently the anti-virus installed is Kaspersky Internet Security V. 6.01. It was previously running PCCillin 2005.

I can access some sites just fine, but other sites have problems loading. For example:

1. I can browse to www.time.com, check pages, click through links, everything works like a charm.

2. I can browse to www.netflix.com, but the page halts after the red background loads. If left long enough a couple of image place holders will show up, but the page never completes.

3. I can resolve www.kaspersky.com via NSLookUp, but cannot browse to the site at all. When attempting to do so the request tries for 15 - 20 seconds and then times out. I have tried accessing the site via domain and IP address. The result is the same.

I have performed the following:

1. Ad-Aware SE Personal Ed. Scans - Found tracking cookies and some MRU lists - nothing of note.

2. Performed Spybot S&D 1.4 Scans - Found several threats which were removed successfully.

3. Performed Windows Defender scans - Nothing returned.

4. Removed suspicious entries in HJT.

5. Attemtped to control startup programs via MSConfig. Even with all applications and 3rd party services disabled I encounter the same browsing behavior.

6. Installed KIS 6.0 and ran a complete system scan. The scan found several ad-ware related entries left over from a previous OS that it was able to remove (entries stored in an "Old CPU" folder on the HDD). With all threats removed the behavior is the same.

7. Uninstalled and reinstalled the network card - Ran the netshell reset to clear any netbios and DNS caches that might have been causing the issue.

8. Installed and tested browsing capability with Mozilla Firefox, Flashpeak Slimbrowser, IE 6.0, and IE 7.0. All exhibit the same behavior.

9. I've verified all applicable Internet Options settings as they relate to LAN connections - Proxies are disabled, the connection is direct to my router, the IP address assigns normally.

At this point I'm leaning towards the possiblity that something in the OS is corrupted, though I can't be positive. If anyone has any suggestions or questions I'd be happy to try to give more information.

Thanks all,

--Daniel Casper

Advertisements

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Well u've tried a lot of options so I can jus suggest you to repair windows
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
silly question sorry, have you tried the site with another computer, also are cookies enabled

Edited by fleamailman, 13 December 2006 - 11:14 AM.

Dan Casper

Dan Casper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've verified that cookies are enabled and checked the security settings for the various zones. The computer in question exhibits this behavior regardless how it is connected to the internet, and my computer which is also connected to my router can browse to these sites normally.

On an interesting note, I ran sfc /scannow to try to verify the integrity of various OS Files. Durring the scan it prompted me several times for a WinXP Pro SP2 CD, and also several times for a WinXP Home SP2 CD. It seems odd to me that the OS would request different versions of the files. Unless one of the staffers has got a better bet I'm thinking someone tried to upgrade the OS at some point and failed.

--Dan

Dan Casper

Dan Casper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
-- BUMP --

In an attempt to cover bases I obtained the XP Home CD that this OS was originally installed from and performed a repair installation. The result is the same. I'm to a point where I believe it may be hardware related, but am not sure. Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions I can run through really quick? If not, I'm going to suggest a new NIC and see where that leaves me.

--Dan

Dan Casper

Dan Casper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Found the solution. After the OS Repair failed I started stripping out anything third party that I hadn't put there. Half way through the uninstaller for the nForce graphics driver I found a checkbox for a Firewall. There wasn't any other reference to it anywhere in the system, but when I removed that component it worked. God only knows why there was a firewall in the graphics driver, but it's fixed now.

--Dan