Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

travis87

travis87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer has been a mess ever since i let my roommate use it, i have tryed a every virus sofrware and ect. i can get my hands on and it still runs like [bleep]. at this point i have prity much give up, and just planned on rebooting or restoring the whole thing from scratch. i have all the restore CD's and midows stuff that i need i think.
ANY help or advice/suggestions, based on my, very crapy, information will be GREATLY APPRECIATED
THANKS
-travis

Some symptoms that i can think of:

-i have had Mozilla since last year when i my hard drive crashed, but that wasn't hard to change out. and now windows still recognizes explorer as the primary, which i wanted to use but it will not let me despite removing it and reloading it several times.

-if i pull up the task manager it says that the CPU Usage is at 100 percent all the time. there are two processes that seem like they run realy high on usage all the time, i was wouldering if these are red flags to anybody? "sgbhp.exp" and "svchost.exe"??

-Very poor download time for links and any other stuff that i try to do, most of the time it just freezes up for like 5-10 minutes befort it finishes. startup is usualy slow also, but not untill after i log in and it starts loging on a user.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Is your computer a brand name, or custom built? If branded, which? This will give us additional information to help you know if you have all the CDs you need to restore.

Have you taken a backup of your critical data/files/documents/etc?

You may want to post to the Malware forum first. If it's an infection, cleaning it up could spare you the time and aggravation of reloading. Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Edited by LindaGail, 13 December 2006 - 10:43 AM.