Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading Problem

• Please log in to reply

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I currently have Windows XP, and after downloading an update from windows, I restarted to let the changes take effect. Now, whenever the system loads, It wouldnt take me to the login screen (it would just show a blank screen). Well, I thought the almighty purge would work on it. So, I rebooted the whole system( losing all of my stuff in the process). I selected to boot from cd, and it asked me to select a partition to install windows on. Well, I cleared all partitions and chose to install windows. Now, after the system has started, there are two windows XP systems that I can start on. one has a hardware problem and can't boot, but the the other system that works says it can't detect my sound card. Not only that, but i think my video card that came standard with the Dell can't be picked up either. What should I do?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you tried to install the drivers for the sound card and video card from the Dell Resource CD? Or you can visit Dell's website to download the drivers. Go to support.dell.com, choose the system, then follow the prompts.

Do you have to select the second Windows installation, or will it boot okay if you just wait long enough for Windows to choose?

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can choose between the first and second systems to load. The second windows is the one with the hardware problem, and when i try to load it, it mentions the hardware problem and takes me back to initial load up screen (where the dell logo shows up). I havent loaded up the drivers from the resource CD yet, but i am about to do that. Should I go to control panel and install drivers to get the CD to load the drivers??

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
With the Dell Resource CD, once you pop it in the CD Drive, you'll be prompted to install (if it's the first time you've put the CD in). Then you'll get a screen with a list of components and drivers. It makes it easy to install everything from there.

As to the two Windows boot options, we can try to fix it. Click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG. Go to the Boot.ini tab. Click the "Check all boot paths" tab. If that doesn't eliminate the second Windows boot option, post back.

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for the help. the msconfig option deleted the second option, but once it says that i need to restart to make the changes take effect, and the system starts up, i get a message saying that the config utility is in diagnostic or selective startup mode, and that changing the mode to normal would undo any changes i made to the configuration utility. Is there a way i can run the configuration in normal mode while having that boot path deleted for good?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
After the reboot when the System Configuration Utility message comes up, just click the "Don't show this message" box and you won't see that prompt again. See the attached screen shot. Running in Selective Mode is not a problem.

Edited by LindaGail, 13 December 2006 - 02:10 PM.

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ahh ok. I put in the resource CD, and once the wizard finished setting up the installation process for the redource CD, the CPU cut off. when i restarted the system, it said that the system shutdown was because of a thermal event. Any idea what it could be?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like the fan isn't working properly. Is the computer still under warranty? If so, call Dell's technical department and open a case. Is your computer a desktop or laptop?

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it is a desktop. and if i am not mistaken, my computer's warranty ran out. its a dimension 3000

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Boot to the diagnostic CD and run the tests on the fan. If it fails, you'll need a new fan.

If it passes the test(s) and you are comfortable opening the case, unplug everything from the computer (power cords, everything), and open the case. Be sure to ground yourself before reaching inside the case. Very carefully, clean the fan and air vents, using a small vacuum, blower (compressed air or something similar), or a soft brush (like a small paint brush).

Post back with the results.

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it passed the test, it was prob all the dust collected inside the machine. i swear i have never seen such a big collection of dust and particles in my life!! i cleaned it with a small vacuum cleaner, and it works fine now. thank you again for your help. If there is anything else, i'll be sure to ask!! :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Wonderful! Glad I could help :whistling: