Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts Down By itself

• Please log in to reply

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
[size=2][size=5][size=3]My computer shuts down approx. 30 seconds after it boots to Windows. I have two copies of XP on one partition, and one version on the 2nd partition. The first version on the first partition is the one that shuts down. There's no problem with the 2nd version on the first partition. The version in the 2nd partition won't boot at all or locks part way through. Any ideas what the problem is and how I can straighten this mess out, or should I just buy a new hard drive and start fresh? :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi oldtimertech...

The new hard drive would be the ideal solution, but it is also possible to remove the two nonworking Windows installations and make it boot straight to the one that works.

Where is most of your data? Will that need to be moved from the other installations to the good one?

wannabe1

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I bought an external hard drive, and have all the necessary data that I need on that one. So, I'm good to go on eliminating the two non working Windows.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let me gather a little information about your system. In the root directory (C:), there should be 2 Windows folders...What are their names (ie: Windowsold, Windows1, etc...). What is the name of the Windows folder on the second partition? (Please include the path..ie: D:\Windows0)

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and Paste it here for me.

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Had a little trouble getting this info as computer would only boot in Safe Mode. Anyway--finally got the info, and am sending it over a spare computer.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just to make sure we get this right...

Boot into the installation that works good. Click Start, then Run, type %windir% and click "Ok". What folder opens?

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, the Windows on top booted normally. I went to Start, Run, typed in %windir% and the screen says these files are hidden. So-what do I do now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, tick the box next to "Show hidden files and folders". Apply the change and try the command again.

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oops! Guess I should have said I opened the hidden files and folders--there are quite a few.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the name at the top of the window that opens when you type %windir% in the open field? It should be either WINDOWS or WINXP.

Advertisements

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It says WINDOWS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! :whistling:

Open My Computer and double click on "Local Disk C:". Right click on WINXP and choose "Delete". Accept the deletion. Click the "Back" button and double click on the second partition...should have a drive letter other than C:. Right click on WINDOWS and choose "Delete". Accept the deletion.

Copy the red text below. Open the boot.ini file as you did earlier. Right click in the notepad window and choose "Select All"...right click again and choose "Paste". Click on "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save".

Close all open windows and reboot.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Should I delete the old stuff in the Notepad before I put the new stuff in?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you use the "Select All" and then "Paste", it should just replace the old with the new. You can delete the old information first if you so desire.

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay--did that. Now--I reboot the computer?