Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with Outlook 2003 Calender reminders

• Please log in to reply

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi - hope I am in the right forum here??? I have had problem with my reminders in calender MS Outlook 2003 for about a month.

I kept getting an error saying that some on the reminders could not be displayed. After several attempts at MS's help forums I got no answer. Fortunately my patience paid off and hours of searching various forums I found an answer and discovered how to correct the problem.

Now, however, I notice that the reminders does not pop up on top of the present window, it in fact just holds itself in the minimized bar and flashes - which can so easily be missed. It pops up if I am actually in calender at the time - but not on other windows. Anyone have any suggestions how I can correct this other than the usual detect and repair, clean reminders/folders etc? Would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks. SM:(

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
In Outlook, go to the Tools menu, Options, Other tab, Advanced Options button, Reminder Options button. Is "Display Reminder" checked? How about "Play a Sound"?

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi - thank you - but yes done all that. Seems to be intermittant - sometimes it does pop up with sound, other times it just flashes. Very odd!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you tried "Detect and Repair" from the Help menu?

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes - done that too.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is OL 2003 an upgrade from a previous version, or a fresh install?

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
A fresh install - but I no longer had the disc (?)

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
A fresh install - but I no longer have the disc (?)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is this a home computer or work computer?

Look at this MS article to see if it applies to your situation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286166

Try this command line function to try to repair the reminders: click Start, Run, type in "outlook /CleanReminders" (without the quote marks). It will take a while for this to run, but hopefully your reminders will be nicely restored when it finishes.

If neither of these helped, post back.

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Linda - thank you - home computer! Studied the link - but not the problem that I am having. Have run the switches - in fact several times - but problem is still occurring. Don't understand how a reminder window doesn't flash up on top of allother windows - (although - 'sometimes' it does) why does it stay underneath? Having searched other forums it would appear that several users are having the same problem - but nothing is being answered! MS need to look at this I think.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, I understand what's happening with the reminder pop-up box. Look at this link: http://www.outlookpo...0001890001.html

I've also searched briefly through the MS Outlook Community Newsgroup and have seen several posts that indicate the reminder pop-up behavior was changed in 2003.

Stressed Mum

Stressed Mum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok - so I'm stuffed then? Thanks anyway for all your help. SM

rsterling

rsterling

• Pip
  • 2 posts

ok - so I'm stuffed then? Thanks anyway for all your help. SM

In my case the reminders are not pop-up!!! They never appear at all and I tried the cleanreminders, resetfolders, advanced options in the Tools menu...
Please help as all of my agenda and jobs to do every day are there!!

Thanks