Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with my Hard Disks

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi all,

It's not often I have a question I usually am the one to help people with problems :whistling: . Now, I have a problem with my computer's hard drives. When I initially installed windows xp I had two hard drives present, not thinking it would be a problem - WRONG. I installed Windows fine and started to install programs only to realise the hard drive I had just installed XP on was drive letter d: (supposed to be c:), and vice versa. Strange... I read some tips on the internet to change it but I was unable to (I got an error). I think that my C: drive is my boot or system and the actual D: drive is my XP install, which doesn't allow me to change the drive letters. The drives both being maxtor I downloaded the maxtor utility to change it, but I also had no luck there. Not long after this I had a problem with my C: drive, it become corrupted and I have got a replacement from Maxtor now. It's gotten to a point where I REALLY don't want to go through the install process again to fix this.

My D: drive now is unable to boot into windows. When I unplug all of the drive except my D: drive, and I run the XP setup from the bios I get to the recovery console and try "FIXBOOT" and "FIXMBR" in hope that it writes the boot, and mbr to the D: drive. This did not work either.

Now, forget my spare drive, how can I get the MBR and the BOOT records on my D: drive without loosing any data or reinstalling?

Thanks bundles, any help is greatly appreciated,

SuperSam

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SuperSam...

With the drive containing the Windows installation installed and jumpered as Primary Master and the other HDD not connected:

Boot into Recovery Console using the XP installation cd. At the prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild and press "Enter". This should rebuild the boot.ini for your current configuration.

wannabe1

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Thanks Wannabe, I'll try this as soon as I get the chance.