Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop is malfunctioning and won't allow itself to be reformated

• Please log in to reply

Lanz

Lanz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my laptop has been having problems ever since last night, [as originally documented in the thread I made on Penny arcade's boards here]

well, I finally go to reformat the thing, but when it reaches this screen

[menu written out in asterisks]

Please Select:

1. Install Express Media Player.
2. Proceed with Recovery CD

Please Select option 1 or 2. [1,2]?_

it won't let me select 2 to reformat. no matter what key I hit, nothing happens after I reach that screen.

there was also a strange folder on my C Drive, with a wordpad file in it named "msxml4-KB927978-enu" looking up on Google, it seems related to XP service pack 2, but it was created around 10AM on Nov. 19, but my Laptop came with service pack 2, and I've had it well over a year.

thanks guys, I really need help with this.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you using a system recovery disk or an xp disk? what make and model computer is this

wordpad file in it named "msxml4-KB927978-enu"

this is a log file from a windows update (possibly one that failed?)

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
We are using the Recovery Disc that came with the Toshiba M45-S265

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oes the computer have a COA sticker on the bottom (the windows license key)?

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, it has a sticker and a valid license

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have any friends that have a full XP disk of the same version as what is installed on your computer (i.e. xp home or xp pro)?

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Also, we've been running Spyware and Adware detection programs all morning. It just found "claria" and "Grokster" buried in registry. After the clean up, I'll see where we stand.

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
No, nobody with a full version of the same version of XP. We're running XP Home SP2 and the only thing we can get our hands on is XP Pro.

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I got a run down of the problems on the Toshiba M45-S265 from my son. It will not connect to the internet and since trying to use the restore disc from Sony, it gives the screen that Windows will not restart properly and you need to select a choice of start ups, but it will not let you select one, it stays frozen for a number of minutes and then reboots into normal mode on its own.

-During a game of online Go via a program that uses Java (somethign about JVM I'm told), I lose the connection to the internet. I go to reset, but the taskbar dissapears and returns, I can't access the start menu and am forced to turn it off at the power button.

-I restart the computer. Upon restart, I'm presented with the strange presence of my laptop finding new hardware, and asking if I want to install an IEEE 1394 Controller (which I'm told is firewire) I select no. I'm rather confused, because the only thing plugged into my laptop is the power cord. somehow, it installs anyway (or claims it does).

-Following the advice on another forum, I disable the IEEE 1394 controller from the device manager or whatever it is in system information

I attempt to use the computer, thinking everything is fixed. The wireless card still won't work. -The computer freezes sometime around here. [this is where my memory is fuzzy. I'm trying to remember . Either way, something happens and I am forced to reset the computer manually)

-I boot it back up and perform a system restore. After the restore is done and the laptop powers down, it boots back up but freezes. this lasts for several minutes. Then it finally loads up, and I'm then stuck on a "please wait. . . . ." screen for Seven minutes, when I finally give up and turn the laptop off manually, again.

-I boot the laptop up again, am presented the option to restart in various safe modes, from the last known good configuration, or boot normally. I choose last good known configuration

-It boots fine, and goes through all the normal system restore stuff that XP does after it loads back up.

-Things go fine, I think I've fixed things. A little while later, I play Go again after redownloading the JVM client. I exit it, and enter it again a few minutes later. after talking with someone about the game we had played earlier, my laptop looses the connection again. checking device managers, the wireless card isn't turning on (I noticed this as well before doing the system restore)

-I do another system restore. This same thing happens again, except I power down when it seems teh laptop will not boot XP. I try to turn it on again, it won't boot XP (Last known good configuration), and I turn off, and back on, and it still won't boot (Start Windows normally)

-I turn it off, close the lid, let it sit and turn it upside down to check the fan. (had to have it replaced under warrante last month)

-Just now, I've turned it back on, chose to boot normally, it was really slow in booting (stuttering a few times), it loads the "please wait. . . . . . . . . . . . ." screen, and is now sitting on a Blue Screen of Death type thing.

Code:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue. disable or remove any newly installed hardware or softawre. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, pres F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Techical Information

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xBA372A00, 0x00000000, 0x805F0AA, 0x00000000)

***w29n51.sys - Address BA272A00 base at BA372A00, Datestamp 00000000

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
That should have been Recovery Disc from Toshiba, not Sony.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: .... this may take a minute to process

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Aslo, the Wireless card does not show in Device Manager. Several times the computer has reinstalled the IEEE 1384.

Now, upon boot up, this text shows:

Yukon PXE V3.03 alpha 01 (20040913)
C(Copyright) 2003-2004 Marvell ® All rights reserved

Preboot eXecution environment PXE v2.1
C(Copyright) 1997-2001 Intel Corportation

Client MAC Address:(gives Mac addy for wireless card)
GUID:(long number-couldn't get it written down-will try again if needed)
DHCP:( and a bar that keeps turning)

Then it goes into the Error window with the choices that it won't let you choose.

After about a minute, it may or may not start to boot into XP

The computer is now up and running and I have a CAT5 cable plugged into it to run the necessary debugging tool and get a current Hijack This log.

Is this a software problem or a Hardware problem?

Thank you for any help you can give. My son needs this laptop for school has he has a writing disability and has to take notes on the computer. At least I have the holidays to try and get this fixed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....well..this could be hardware or software...i'm gonna ask for a couople more eyeballs on this one....

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks,

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the game he was playing from GO. He lost the DSL connection while playing it. He could not get a connection on the laptop or his desktop. I did not have a connection when I got up in the morning and had to reboot the DSL modem to get the connection back.

Strange

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so...as a theory...if you do a system restore to a functional profile....and NEVER go to the "GO" site....do any of these problems occur?