Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

• Please log in to reply

nollijible

nollijible

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This one is kickin' my butt...

New MB, CPU, RAM, HDD, fresh install of WinXP Pro SP1 (XP Home does the same thing). When it reboots to finish the XP install I get the NTLDR message right after the "Press any key to boot from CD" screen (I did not press a key) After numerous tries, I took the CD out and then it rebooted and came to this next error:

TRAP 00000006 ---EXCEPTION----
TR=00028 cr0=80000013 cr2=00000000 cr3=00039000
gtd limit=03FF base=0003F000 idt limit=07FF base=0003F400

Then the system halts. I get the same error(s) every time.
-------------------------------------
PC SPECIFICATIONS:
MB: Intel D945PWMML Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / GeForce 6200 LE 16MB Supp. 128MB Graphics Card / Audio / PCI Express / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA

CPU: Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / OEM / Socket 775 / Dual-Core

RAM: 1Gig DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz (2x512)... Memory was tested prior to shipping (supposedly)
--------------------------------------
I took it to a PC shop and told them what it was doing. They said there was nothing wrong with it and wanted to charge me $40 to install the OS so I took it home.

To aid in replies, I'm a bonified PC Geek/Electronics Tech

Edited by nollijible, 14 December 2006 - 01:38 AM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
http://www.pcmech.com/show/os/722/

Windows XP's Install Problems
Category: Software / Operating Systems - November 4, 2004. Posted by Brody Mulry.

Summary:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307119

Windows XP's Install Problems[color=#FFFFFF]

Generally speaking, installing Windows XP, either Home or Professional, is a walk in the park.

Guided by pretty colors, loading bars that beam back and forwards and constant Microsoft messages

that reassure you that you have made a worth while purchase, which is Microsoft Windows XP.

However, at this important stage of file decompression, decoding and decrypting and extracting

tyrant sized Windows files, odds are that your computer is highly susceptible to fault at this

stage. However, theoretically speaking, certain problems with install might cause a lot of

variables to turn sour, and as a whole, cause your install of Windows XP to become possessed to the

core. Thankfully, most problems are solvable by yourself, just before you use the hammer,

miscellaneous computer accessory, or your fist to manually correct the issue.

We have researched and listed 5 of the most common Windows XP install problems and have outlined

their cure and we have also provided additional support to search the cure for your problem if it

is not one of the 5 most common.

1. Problem 307119

There are no error messages with this fault. Your computer hangs and crashes after typing your

username and password straight after 'upgrading' Windows XP over Windows 98, Windows 98 Second

edition or Windows ME. Microsoft's resolution is simple, manually restart computer. It is rather

concerning to try and estimate how restarting your computer, in the long term, actually fixes the

problem. You can find the documented issue here:

2. Problem 320397

This problem gives you an error message "NTLDR is missing" when you start your computer. The evil

possessing your computer is rather complex. When you copy many large files to a root folder, the

master file table allocation index (MFT) does not reduce to its original size, and therefore causes

some hard disk issues. As complicated as it sounds, the resolution is as well, requiring boot disks

and diagnostic tools to fix the problem. Since I have personally experienced this, installing

Windows Professional onto Windows XP Home, fixing it was very frustrating and time consuming. Make

sure you leave fixing this problem to a weekend, you'll need it! You can find the documented issue

here: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;320397

(Note: this article number changes a lot due to discoveries about this issue, if the problem number

is not the same as listed here, search 'NTLDR' in one of the methods listed at the end of this

article)

3. Problem 307153

This problem exists when you upgrade from Windows 98, Windows 98 Second edition, Windows ME or

Windows XP Home (all to Windows XP Professional). This cause is when the install setup does not

delete a temporary folder during removal. The simple cure is renaming the folder that the setup did

not delete. However it's a little harder that it appears. You can find the documented issue here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307153

4. Problem 310760

This problem is when the installation of Windows XP halts when the message of "Setup is starting

Windows" is displayed. This error is caused by a number of variables. However, the most common is

an incompatibly old motherboard BIOS or SATA disk drivers that aren't loaded. You can find the

documented issue here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310760

5. Problem 313041

This error is when "i386Win9xupgW95upg.dll" cannot be loaded and installed when Windows XP is being

installed over Windows 98, Windows 98 Second edition or Windows ME. You can resume the installation

of that component by manually launching the installer for that component that failed to

automatically install. You can find the documented issue here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=313041

If, and it is anticipated, your particular error is not in this article, and you can't find them on

Microsoft's Support Site, all your problems should be solvable at Helpwithwindows.com:

http://www.helpwithw...XP/setup05.html.

Windows-Help.NET links articles on the Official Microsoft Support Site, and allows a prompt access

to information about your setup issue, without using Microsoft's KB (Knowledge Base) search tool,

which when writing this article, I simply could not find any information of 3 of the most common

errors above. Using Windows-Help.NET is a must to find an answer to your problem, without wasting a

month looking for it.

nollijible

nollijible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Problem Resolved!!!
The previous reply got me thinking (TY b1caez01) that it had to be a hardware issue. Since I had already tested the RAM and Hard Drives and since the Video card came with the board as a bundle, it had to be the CDROM itself.
The PC would boot from the CDROM, but not from the hard drive while the CDROM was connected (yes... the jumpers were correctly positioned :whistling:. Bought a new DVDR and all is well.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Can you refer other readers to what the pin was that pricked the idea that it was hardware related. I hardly think it was my humble effort...but you did say a clue was there...or am I just "full of myself" :whistling:

nollijible

nollijible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
You may be 'full of yourself', but it did get me to where I needed to be.

I guess because I have been working on PC's since the Commodor 64 was new (I'm 52 now and wrote my first simple program when I was 12 on those old punch cards) I have learned a few things about my troubleshooting skills:
1. Bad RAM always makes me pull my hair out.
2. I have never taken a PC to a shop that was able to fix it when I couldn't.
3. If I can't fix it and it is not the RAM then it is what ever else I haven't checked yet.
The latter proved to be the case this time.
My delima was that I didn't have a spare motherboard, PCIe video card or CPU that I could swap out to troubleshoot.

To answer your query however, solution number 4 deals with incompatibility issues. After reading it my first thought was "Self, you never tried swapping DVDRs". I wasn't thinking that it might be bad because it did load windows to the drive as it should have, I thought it might be a compatibility problem. Had I had this "vision" sooner I would still be about $300 richer (less in debt)

The up side to this is that I now have probably good used/spare MB/CPU/Fan/RAM/HDD to make a spare PC from.

It will be interesting to use that same bad DVDR, that does not like being a slave, in a system as a master on IDE1. Neither myself nor the PC tech I took it to have ever heard of a problem like this. Thanks again for the reply... I just needed nudged in the right direction.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Glad to be a pin!

52? Your just a babe in the woods...my first computer experience was in University. I had to do SSPS [statistial] analysis in the computer room...the compter was at least 10 feet long, floor to ceiling :whistling: Punch cards up the yin yang... :blink: ...and long streams of printer paper, that went on endlessly until you ripped it off in chunks. the printer was twice the size of a large microwave oven.

Now, we use BlackBerries.

The first necessary "personal computer" I owned was a hand held calculator that could do square roots...man try to do those "long hand" on paper, with a pile of variables to consider ...mama mia! It took days to find one as they had not come onto the market in any quantity.

I recall buying a Commadore for the kids when they first came out... I still have it, and it all completely functional as far as I know...even have a few of the first Atari games... :help:

Your ratonale all sounds sound :)

I cruise the geekster site and mostly only help those who have no response yet to their query. No one like to be left in the lurch when they are in a panic!

Edited by b1caez01, 17 December 2006 - 07:35 AM.