Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeps reinstalling printer driver when I plug in the printer

• Please log in to reply

RJ_St_Louis

RJ_St_Louis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I travel and use different printers sometimes the same modle but a different printer. The problem is each time I plug a printer into my laptop I get the message new hardware found and it reloads the printer driver. Even though I have that driver loaded already. It can load, say the HP2300 driver as many times as I plug in that printer. and calls it Copy 1, 2, 3, ect.

Hardware Compaq nc6230 Windows XP.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm going to assume these are all usb printers?....unfortunately i have no other answer other than it's kind of what happens with usb printers...usb printers are designed so that you can have as many printers hooked to your computer as you have usb ports (where as old lpt printers you could only have one unless you installed a new card)...so the OS (and the subsequent USB printer driver) assumes that if you've just plugged in a USB printer...that you must have just added a new one....it's a pain in the rear end...but as of right this moment i haven't found a way to get around it.