Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore is disabled without being checked

• Please log in to reply

mtbsarah

mtbsarah

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Regarding my system restore disabling problem, I have tried to bring it back using the safe mode with a prompt. I used the suggested "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" command and still get a blank dialog box. In addition, the search feature for XP doesn't function. I'm also having problems with windows media player. It does not activate. My virus software, McAfee will not function and has disappeared from the program list. I tried reloading it, but it did not launch from the disk. It too, showed a blank dialog box. All of the symptoms occurred at the same time. I have since run Defender and AVG antivirus softwares separately and the AVG did detect a trojan and several adware files, although no change was evident after deleting those files. Defender was unable to detect any malicious files. Help!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.