Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPUCOOL

• Please log in to reply

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey everyone, ive recently downloaded CPUCOOL and am quite impressed, its a neat little program. However a couple of things puzzle me...

It lists two temperatures, one at around 36 degrees C (Im pretty sure sure thats the temp of the inside of my tower case, and the other one floats around 22. This one I have no idea of I would have thought one of them would be the CPU, but bios tells me its running around 45 degrees.

The second q is on the issue of overclocking, CPUCOOL allows you to change the FSB which I have increase slighly, it works and I get about another 250 MHZ out of the processor, however the next time I boot my computer the FSB returns to 133MHZ. Any ideas on how to stop this?

Ashley.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your overclocking is done through software means, which get lost when the system is rebooted. Overclocking is a sure fire way to get a faster computer BUT also increases the chances of damaging the processor through the extra heat that it generates. Any warranties you may have become null and void if you overclock to an extent that it damages your system.

As to the temperatures, the BIOS reports temperatures as it sees them. Windows uses its own built-in cooling technology to "turn off" the processor when its not in use, this is not available in the BIOS where the processor is "always on". In an average Windows sesssion, the computer sits there doing nothing so as the CPU is technically "off", the temperature readings appear lower through CpuCool.