Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD writer has stopped burning

• Please log in to reply

zoop

zoop

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

My DVD/CD burner on my Dell Inspiron 8600 has stopped burning CDs or DVDs.
It's a 4X NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A. Everytime I try to burn either a CD or a DVD, the error message appears saying that insert a blank CD or a writable DVD. even changing the disks doesn't help. I have used the same brand of CD and DVD's a lot of times earlier and never had this kind of an issue. It is still able to recognize the CDs and DVDs that are already burned.

Do I have to update any drivers? or is it a plain hardware issue?

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is a possible fix from M$: http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q316529 drive not recordable

zoop

zoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Unfortunately the microsoft fix didn't work. I also restarted the computer after the fix. I tried to burn a simple data CD, but the Sonic burning software refused to burn the CD and gave the error to insert a writable CD.

Please let me know what I should try next.

Thank you for the help

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Go to Sonic's web page and look for a software update for your product.