Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading ram

• Please log in to reply

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
hey

im going to be getting prob only another 512 ram,but i was wondering,do i need to take my old ramm out my pc to install the fresh 512,but the old ram is working fine,?im a little confused,because theres no point of me getting another 512 when i have 512.lol? or can the 2 of them be combined?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if your computer supports 1 gig, which if it came with 512 im sure it does, then you can put the new 512 in the second slot giving you 1gig.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
hey

im getting Corsair Value Select 512Mb DDR400 KIT (2x 256Mb) Memory

ive already ordered it,but i noticed it was only and extra 512 instead of a gig,because i already have 512,thatll take me up to a gig,but i play bf2 and dont know if it will make a diffrence.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
im not sure if i need 2 slots for this or not?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
according to what you said for the kit, its 2 256mb sticks right? you might want to check your board, it more than likely only has 2 slots, which means 1 512 and 1 256 is all you can use, as for battlefield id imagine that would be enought but i have yet to play it on pc

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Unless you want to get Two sticks of 512 which would equal 1GB of RAM. Or you can get 2 sticks of 1gb ram to equal 2gb RAM.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
You may also want to check your current 512 stick to see what type it is.. PC -3200 PC- 2700 ect..

I did not bother to do this, once and had two sticks of 512 in my rig and each stick was not the same. It worked but works a whole lot better when they are both the same.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi, if it is not too late, I would send it back and get 1 stick of 512. You have a limited amount of slots. With what you are currently buying, you would fit 768MB of RAM in your computer. If you get one stick of 512, then you would have 1GB of RAM in your computer, which would be much better.
Also, like they said, try to get the same speed as your current RAM if you are going to combine them (Either in the form of something like PC3200 or 400MHz).
As for price, I have seen the 1 stick of 512 generally be about the same price of the 2 sticks of 256.