Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 vs. Nintendo Wii vs. Playstation 3

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I disagree, the PS3 wasn't rushed. It had more then enough time and planning behind it. They had problems that were out of their control, also they didn't have much of a choice when to release it, it was November the 17 or never. If the stalled everyone else would have leeped for the other consoles as they would have been available for Christmas, thus leaving little or no market for the PS3's to be sold in. Remember this is only the very beginning of the race, while it looks really bad for PS3, things can change very quickly. It has just be released its full potential has yet to be seen.

And just like warriorscot said, every console is aimed at a different group. That is what makes the unique and appealing to others. But just you wait, with DX10 around the corner, things are about to get very interesting on the PC side.
James

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I disagree, the PS3 wasn't rushed. It had more then enough time and planning behind it. They had problems that were out of their control, also they didn't have much of a choice when to release it, it was November the 17 or never. If the stalled everyone else would have leeped for the other consoles as they would have been available for Christmas, thus leaving little or no market for the PS3's to be sold in. Remember this is only the very beginning of the race, while it looks really bad for PS3, things can change very quickly. It has just be released its full potential has yet to be seen.

And just like warriorscot said, every console is aimed at a different group. That is what makes the unique and appealing to others. But just you wait, with DX10 around the corner, things are about to get very interesting on the PC side.
James

Yeah, I could state at least 5 different reasons PC will remain the best gaming "system" for quite a while. Then again i could also state why it CAN be the worst if you don't know what yoru doing.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Its a fact thats the internet on the Xbox 360 is the best. Aka Xbox Live. Which I have and its amazing. But at the moment im playing Zelda.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
possibilities are endless for PC's, consoles on the other hand have a limit. If in fact consoles are that much better online, i'm sure PC's will be there in due time. No one will convince me to stop thinking about building my new rig in February, sure it'll cost a arm and a leg. But hey its all in the fun.
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i think the Wii's design with the controller is great but i dont like any of the games on it except COD3 and most of the games are aimmed at 3-12 year olds no offence if u have one. PS3 is great but the controller has seen better days and it is way way to expensive. The best console for value and games has to be the Xbox 360 but its only personal perference. I can see the atraction of the Wii cause its not that exepnsive and it looks fun to play but i would rather spend more money and get an Xbox 360. The PS3 will sell slowly but surely most people are waiting for the price to drop.

Im not going to guy a console though id rather wait for DX10 cards and games to be released now that will be good. PC is trailing behind the consoles but not for long lol

Your right rumble291. This is what I say, the nvidia 8800 series video cards with direct x 10 for pc are already faster than xbox 360 and Ps3. I wouldnt say the 8800 series nvidia video cards are equivalent because technically they are faster than xbox and ps3's graphics. You can buy quad core processors now from intel so its already faster even though its not an ibm cell processor it still has 4 cores.

Im with you Im not going to buy a console id rather buy a new PC with the latest and greatest technology.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think its funny how people talk about the PC is "going to get there" or " come into its own". The PC has been "there" for years before there were consoles it was the only choice for real games and still is the games on the PC are always larger better developed and cheaper than the console versions with better technology there hasn't been a game to buck that trend YET not one has been on a console and a PC and been inferior on the PC. Its a more versatile and powerful platform. PC is AHEAD of consoles number of decent game worthy PCs>>>>>>than either of the new consoles. There is still only one DX10 console the 360 isnt full DX10 the PS3 uses an 8800 core but has to share memory.

PC has HELD its title as the machine for serious gamers against all the consoles mostly for the reason that people can make games for a PC and it'll work on allot of PCs you don't have to code for different hardware it just gets faster all the tools are there and standards in place so it costs developers less so they can take there time. The games are better, and the hardware considering allot play with a nice monitor that can produce HD standard image and allot use a good sound system you get a better experience on a PC.

The serious gamers have always played the PC, and in terms of internet service a PC has full unrestricted access to the internet for anything i dont see how you can improve on that to me thats the best internet service the net itself.

Sure PCs are expensive but considering the price of consoles and the fact you can use the PC for everything, that and the fact it will pay for the difference with the fact games are cheaper and you can use other things with a PC to save money its a more cost effective solution if a more complex one, but it is the most established and easiest to learn.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
True dat, but some people don't have enough money for a serious gaming computer. Or they don't want to go through all the [bleep] to set it up. I don't have a gaming computer. sure I would like one. But I wouldn't know how to build one. I love computers, and I want to do something with computers later on after school. I never built a computer from scratch, but would like to.

Lol in fact the last game that actually worked well on my computer was: Age of Mythology, Empire Earth 1 and 2 (not the new one, OMG killer), Counter Strike Condition Zero, and Halo CE, (which worked but the grass was a horrible shade of light green, no detail just solid, as well as the sand)

So, I like my computer, and had it for a long time. But I want a new one. I need like details on either how to make my own with Geek to go assistance, or buy a premade one, If I go with a premade I want a good one, and need to know the price, unfourtunetly they are expensive, and I don't have that much saved up yet. Bummer lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That was just a Halo thing it was a poor port what was good on a xbox was severly dated on a PC they took an oldish PC game engine ported to xbox then tried to back to PC.

Building a computer is pretty easy and you can buy them easily now from custom sites, serious gaming computers dont have to be expensive you dont have to have the best for a good gaming experience you can get a good gaming computer for much less than alot of people paid for there 360,HDDVD games and controllers or PS3 and games etc. A PC seems more expensive but its often either about the same or even cheaper.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I think its funny how people talk about the PC is "going to get there" or " come into its own". The PC has been "there" for years before there were consoles it was the only choice for real games and still is the games on the PC are always larger better developed and cheaper than the console versions with better technology there hasn't been a game to buck that trend YET not one has been on a console and a PC and been inferior on the PC. Its a more versatile and powerful platform. PC is AHEAD of consoles number of decent game worthy PCs>>>>>>than either of the new consoles. There is still only one DX10 console the 360 isnt full DX10 the PS3 uses an 8800 core but has to share memory.

PC has HELD its title as the machine for serious gamers against all the consoles mostly for the reason that people can make games for a PC and it'll work on allot of PCs you don't have to code for different hardware it just gets faster all the tools are there and standards in place so it costs developers less so they can take there time. The games are better, and the hardware considering allot play with a nice monitor that can produce HD standard image and allot use a good sound system you get a better experience on a PC.

The serious gamers have always played the PC, and in terms of internet service a PC has full unrestricted access to the internet for anything i dont see how you can improve on that to me thats the best internet service the net itself.

Sure PCs are expensive but considering the price of consoles and the fact you can use the PC for everything, that and the fact it will pay for the difference with the fact games are cheaper and you can use other things with a PC to save money its a more cost effective solution if a more complex one, but it is the most established and easiest to learn.

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

True dat, but some people don't have enough money for a serious gaming computer. Or they don't want to go through all the [bleep] to set it up. I don't have a gaming computer. sure I would like one. But I wouldn't know how to build one. I love computers, and I want to do something with computers later on after school. I never built a computer from scratch, but would like to.

Lol in fact the last game that actually worked well on my computer was: Age of Mythology, Empire Earth 1 and 2 (not the new one, OMG killer), Counter Strike Condition Zero, and Halo CE, (which worked but the grass was a horrible shade of light green, no detail just solid, as well as the sand)

So, I like my computer, and had it for a long time. But I want a new one. I need like details on either how to make my own with Geek to go assistance, or buy a premade one, If I go with a premade I want a good one, and need to know the price, unfourtunetly they are expensive, and I don't have that much saved up yet. Bummer lol

Yo, i just had a company make me a custom PC, cheap price too, only about $200 more than what i could've done if i had made it myself (not bad rly). If you'd like some help designing a decently cheap gaming pc I could probably help out a bit, I helped a friend design his as well.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

exactly warriorscot lol.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
See the thing about gaming on a computer is that you can do other thngs. For example, edit videos, and go on the internet. But im focusing more strictly based on the G3 consoles. A computer can be customized to anything thing you want. A gaming console, cannot. Unless you mod. So just judging on Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3, I understand people prefer what they think is interesting to them. But what about looking at technical ways, and price, like what you gain for your money.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Technically the far superior console is the PS3 its hardware wise the most advanced and is the one that costs most over its actual sale price so in terms of value its also cheapest the blu ray drive that slowed production actually makes it a good value buy because its cheaper than any standalone blu ray player plus has more features. Apart from the lack of games its the best hardware wise and because its linux and largely restriction free you can install non sony OSs on it, its run with both windows XP and several linux distros.

After that its the 360 its older and uses older generation hardware than the ps3 which is the technical reason for it being inferior, its cheaper to make though by a long shot especially since they sell the HDDVD seperate.

The Wii is technically the worst console its hardware is somewhere between an original xbox and the new one, its saving grace is its bountiful software and good design its the cheapest of all 3 to produce because it uses off the shelf hardware whereas the other two have custom designed hardware either completely or in part.

Technically superior is rarely a factor in success in allot of technology Sony have known this for a long time they have always put out exceptional hardware but often use crap software, there hardware designers are much better than their software designers. MS always has the opposite being a software corporation they do well on software but farm out hardware development to other firms not always quite as successfully. Technical superiority and value for money mean little as to what sells you need an all round package and more importantly good publicity.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Technically superior is rarely a factor in success in allot of technology Sony have known this for a long time they have always put out exceptional hardware but often use crap software, there hardware designers are much better than their software designers. MS always has the opposite being a software corporation they do well on software but farm out hardware development to other firms not always quite as successfully. Technical superiority and value for money mean little as to what sells you need an all round package and more importantly good publicity.

That's why hardcore gamers prefer the PC, it's the only system they can easily customize to the speeds they want.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Enough about the systems, for right now. Whats everyones favortive games, or games you recommend.

My favorites are: Halo, Halo 2, Gears of War, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Quake 4, Almost any Mario Game <3, Street Fighter II (SNES) <3.