Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Master Boot Record - Delete GRUB

• Please log in to reply

maliknd

maliknd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After installing Suse Linux 10.1, I found that it won't work for me and I want to get rid of it. I tried to follow Novell's instructions for removal, but they do not work and they support installation ONLY!

So here is what I have figured out. I can remove SUSE Linux by deleting the Linux partitions in XP's Disk Management. That is great. But when I go to restart my computer, GRUB (installed by SUSE) does not recognize any startup disk. I had to re-install SUSE for my computer to startup to Windows or Linux.

When I do startup (with Linux installed), I get a SUSE splash screen that allows me to choose Linux or Windows as my startup system. I assume that GRUB looks to the Linux partition before looking to my Windows partition. So when I have deleted the Linux Partition I get a GRUB error 22 (no start up disk detected - or something like that).

What I think I need to do is restore Master Boot Record (MBR) so that BIOS looks first to my Windows partition. I don't quite know how to do this. I have an IBM recovery CD for my Thinkpad. I have turned off system restore (Maybe dumb, but I couldn't get it to work and it took up so much of my hard drive). I tried to restore MBR through Linux's YAST controller. It allows you to revert to the previous boot loader, but since I have re-installed SUSE Linux, it sees GRUB as the previous boot loader.

I think that is all of the relevant info. I look forward to some help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you know how to edit the boot.ini tab in msconfig?
Johanna

maliknd

maliknd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do not

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://vlaurie.com/c...les/bootini.htm