Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking 2 laptops

• Please log in to reply

ksco

ksco

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got a new laptop and want to network it with my old laptop to copy files, but its not working. The old laptop is running XP Professional, the new laptop has XP Media Center. They are compatible for networking right? I have successfully networked multiple desktops running XP Pro in the past, so at first I did the same setup (Network Setup Wizard) and that didn't work. I joined them to the same workgroup and shared the drive I wanted to share. When I clicked "Add a network place" it showed the other laptop, but when I clicked it I got a message saying it can't access it.
Then I tried the "Setup a wireless network" wizard, I even used the flash drive option and that didn't work either!
So next I disabled the wireless adapters on each laptop and plugged them into my router directly, and ran the network setup wizard again, and still the same problem. This is very frustrating.

Can someone please help, or point me to a step-by-step guide to do this?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Ksco
Go here and you will find 2 topics at the top of the page.
Network.
Are you logged in as admin on both computers ?
I would also try the network set wizard from meda center in the pro machine. insert the media center disk in the pro machine and choose perform other task. Have you turned off ICS(internet connection sharing) on the pro machine?
If you get stuck let me know
Cheers
Peterm

ksco

ksco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Peterm. I wasn't logged in as admin, but both user names that I was logged in as had admin privileges. Would that work the same?
I don't think I turned off ICS on the pro machine, how would I do that?