Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled SP2 and SP1 on accident.

• Please log in to reply

2easy

2easy

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok, well I tried to uninstall SP2 using directions from another site, and I uninstalled both SP1 and SP2 I believe. My OEM of Windows XP includes SP2. I tried to do a repair of xp from boot cd. I chose "boot to files when asked" and NOT the recovery console one. I can't recall what it is. It copied files and such. It then said that part was successful. It then said it would reboot computer in 15 seconds and continue system repair. It rebooted and just went to a black screen with my cursor. I tried again several times with no luck. I have alot of stuff on this computer and can't afford to lose everything. Any help would be great. Thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi 2easy...

Try booting to the Safe Mode options screen by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence. Once at the options screen, choose the option to start using the "Last known good configuration". Will your machine start using this option?

wannabe1

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I do that, but it doesn't load anything that works. It still shows just a black screen with my cursor.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When the machine loads to the black screen, does pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete bring up the task manager?

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No, I can't do anything. I can move my mouse, but there's NO icons, etc.

Edited by 2easy, 17 December 2006 - 07:26 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try booting to the cd again, but this time press R in the Welcome to Setup screen to load Recovery Console. When you get to the screen where you need to select an operating system to repair, what are the listed choices?

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Windows XP Home :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Select it (probably by pressing 1) and continue to the command prompt.

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

You will probably be told the volume is busy and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter".

If the machine remains at command prompt, type exit and press "Enter".

This will be a long procedure...let it finish. When it's finished, it should boot into Windows. Let me know how it goes.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Heh, you were right, that was a long process. Well it finished and restarted, but it did the same thing. Black screen and cursor, and nothing worked. It did say some errors were fixed, but nothing I can notice. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmm...

When you say you tried it several times, was it the repair you tried several times, or getting it to start several times?

Advertisements

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried the system repair several times, but it always restarted and never finished the second part of the setup. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What peripheral hardware do you have hooked up? Any flash drives, printers, ipods?

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Nope, nothing but mouse,keyboard, and a wireless adapter. :whistling:

Edited by 2easy, 17 December 2006 - 09:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if we can get a parallel installation on this and grab your data from the incomplete installation.

There is a guide for this HERE. Follow the guide closely and you should end up with a new Windows install on the same partition. Name the folder you install to WINXP.

I'll stick around while you do this in case you run into problems.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright, let me go try this out. I'm printing it out. (I have a lazer jet, so it shouldn't take long) I'll post back in a few.

P.S I really appreciate your help man.