Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer system report

• Please log in to reply

ew2000

ew2000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using Window XP. How do you create a report on all drives, types and peripherals and open slots and connections for additional drives?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if this is what you want so try it and see. Go to all programs/accessorys/system tools/system information. Once its open click on file then export and it will make a text file of everything in your system. I name these files for the computer they are on so i can archive them on CD's for the 5 computers i'm running right now.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ew2000...

Download and run Everest or WinAudit on the machine.

wannabe1

ew2000

ew2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks wannabe1,
WinAudit gave me the best info yet. I need to add another drive and I am trying to confirm what type of drive I have now IED or SATA or what ever. I'm use to Macs that can easily tell you what you have and what is available for expansion. I guess I may have to pull it appart to check. The computer is from 2001 with Celeron CPU 2.4GHz.

Edited by ew2000, 17 December 2006 - 07:41 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Check the device properties in Device Manager. That should tell you the device type. My bet would be ATA.

ew2000

ew2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you again. I wasn't reading the info right. It is IDE.
Have a good Holiday!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :whistling: