Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oulook Express opening links in email

• Please log in to reply

ltaylor57

ltaylor57

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows XP service pack 2 with Outlook Express 6. I am unable to open links contained in email messages. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Well, Outlook express is probably doing that for your safety as the links may contain stuff like: "We had a data base error and we need you to verify your Yahoo or whatever account" and then they will steal your passwords.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, it is a safety feature, but it is also annoying for people who need attachments.

In Outlook, TOOLS > OPTIONS, choose SECURITY tab, uncheck "DO NOT ALLOW ATTACHMENTS TO BE SAVED..."

But, be careful when opening outlook attachments, follow common sense

ltaylor57

ltaylor57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestion....I did uncheck as you suggested....still unable to go directly to any url's (by double clicking) included in any emails. At one time I was able to do this...not sure when it started happening, but it MAY have been after I installed service pack 2.....any additional suggestions??

vantilian

vantilian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem, and following the instructions on this microsoft support article fixed it:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=281679

Basically do as follows:

1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll - then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
5. I would advise repeating steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (I had to re-register all of the files below before it fixed mine):

urlmon.dll
mshtml.dll
actxprxy.dll
oleaut32.dll
shell32.dll
shdocvw.dll

6. When finished, restart Windows XP.

Worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Cheers.