Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open Control Panel

• Please log in to reply

knowledge24

knowledge24

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Every time I try to open my Control Panel from the Start menu I get an error message that says netsetup.cpl is missing (or something to that effect).

What can I do about this problem?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi knowledge24! Welcome to G2G!

See if the following link solves your problem:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;892890

Fenor

knowledge24

knowledge24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the response.

I checked on that link you provided and I do not have Visual IP InSight among my list of programs. Could it be under a different name?

Since it isn't listed, what else do you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance, you guys are great.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you go to START-->RUN and type control panel and click OK, does the Control Panel open or same error?

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Also, please post the EXACT wording of the error message you are receiving.

Edited by Fenor, 18 December 2006 - 08:11 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, go to START--RUN and type msconfig. In the new window that appears, click on the STARTUP tab and uncheck the box for IPMON32. Then click APPLY and OK and when told you need to reboot your computer, do so. Once rebooted, you will see a window appear saying you are running in selective startup mode. Check the box to not display this message again and click OK. Try opening the Control Panel now.

Fenor

knowledge24

knowledge24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Fenor,

I just tried to look for IPMON32, but it doesn't appear under Startup.

Also, when I try to open the Control Panel, it says "An error occurred while Windows was working with Control Panel file C:\WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your XP CD handy?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and /scannow)
  • Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.
SFC - System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Fenor

knowledge24

knowledge24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Unfortunately, I don't have my XP cd. Anything else I could do?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Only thing on the Internet that relates to your problem is IPMON being in the STARTUP LIST. Post the name of each entry that is in your STARTUP LIST in your next reply.

Fenor