Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing icons, and more weirdness

• Please log in to reply

zurzu

zurzu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello everybody,

I have a "slight" problem, i seem to have misplaced the run icon in my start menu. The same thing applies to the shutdown icon, please see attached image.

Also, if i try to shortcut run, i get this message "Resstrictions: this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. please contact your system administrator"

The problem is i am the admin, well, the owner, main user, holder of the admin account, etc.

I have to add though, that i have tried to fiddle around with the system, i'm unable, however, to be more specific as to the nature of this fiddling.

I run Win XP pro. sp2. I have an anti-virus (fix-it utilities), firewall (Kerio) and do regular sweeps with Adaware. I can't find any weird processes going on either.

I have a second account on the comp for other family members, this accound displays none of the above problems.

Can someone give me some ideas?

Thanks

zurzu

Attached Thumbnails

• missing_buttons.jpg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi zurzu...

This has all the markings of a corrupt user account. Try creating a new account for yourself, giving it full Admin permissions, and see if you have the same problems. If that straightens things out, move your files from the old account to the new and delete the corrupt account.

wannabe1

zurzu

zurzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, I'll give it a try,

Thanks

zurzu