Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot Sometimes, Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello there.

I have a two year old computer that is beginning to experience some major issues here. I currently have two HD's in it, a Radeon 9800 pro, AsusP4P800SE mobo, Audigy2 soundcard, and 3.2ghz P4.

When I first boot the computer, I get the message that the hard-drive may go bad, press F1, etc. I have been getting that for about a year but everyone told me its a garbage detector so ignore it, which I have.

Now, when I start the computer and turn it on, it will make all the noises and the lights come on, etc, but nothing appears on my screen. Almost as if the hard-drive didn't initialize and isn't coming on. I have let it sit there like that for 10 minutes or so, and nothing. If I push and hold the power button or kill power to restart it, still the same thing. Blank screen. Eventually if I let it sit for a few minutes and after numerous tries, it will finally fire up.

Then, to top it off, when I get it up and running, I will be using the computer and it just completely shuts off. It doesn't do a windows shutdown, it just kills the power.

I am pretty good with PC's, but I have no idea what may be causing this. I am thinking maybe the C: drive is shot, or something with the power supply, but it boots up and nothing happens, so I am thinking more the HD then anything.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. I already pulled it out and checked all plugs, etc.

Advertisements

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
disconnect all peripherals except keyboard, mouse, monitor
disconnect cd/dvd drives and hard drive from the smps,
reseat the power cable to the motherboard and restart the computer,
just chk if it is going to the BIOS or not
pls let me knw accordingly

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

disconnect all peripherals except keyboard, mouse, monitor
disconnect cd/dvd drives and hard drive from the smps,
reseat the power cable to the motherboard and restart the computer,
just chk if it is going to the BIOS or not
pls let me knw accordingly

I will do that in the morning. Its on my desktop downstairs and I am heading to bed.

However, I can tell you that when it doesn't boot, the BIOS is not coming up, nothing is...its a black screen forever.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

However, I can tell you that when it doesn't boot, the BIOS is not coming up, nothing is...its a black screen forever.

I understand u r just able to see a black screen. But in here the problem can b due to any hardware inside the computer. The computer just needs power and support from motherboard to enable the video. I want to see if the computer is able to startup without any accessories or not

So :whistling:

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
my first instinct would be RAM. if Ram is not recognized then the PC won't boot also random crashes could be from RAM errors. i had a very similar situation and mine was RAM. The harddrive would have nothing to do with it. even without a harddrive you should still be able to see and acess BIOS