Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP quickplay resident program error on startup

• Please log in to reply

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

Hope someone can help me. For the last few day I've been getting this message every time I start my laptop.

HP QuickPlay resident program has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

and when I go to see what date this error report contains it gives this --

error signature

appname: qpservice.exe
appver 4.5.0.1
modname: ntdll.dll
modver. 5.1.2600.2180
offset: 0002de3

I've tried restore points and it comes up on all of them. Its more of a nuisance than anything but I'd like to get rid of the error if at all possible.

Thanks

~Lis

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the software CD to re-install it

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
No, it came preloaded.

~Lis

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What is your specific laptop model? Quickplay may be available as a download from HP's website.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Its an hp pavilion media centre dv8233cl

~Lis

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
See this link to HP Notebook PCs - Installing QuickPlay Software.

It states
The instructions in this document apply to notebook PCs that were shipped with set of Recovery Discs including the Operating System CD, Driver Recovery CD and the QuickPlay Installation CD. Customers with notebook PCs that shipped with the Diskless Recovery Solution should perform a recovery using the disks that were created. For instructions see HP Notebook PCs - Using the PC Recovery Solution.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I used the diskless reinstall option and yet still get the same resident program message on start up, even in safe mode. But it looks like quickplay is working? At least its playing a dvd as I type this. Is there any way to get rid of the message at start up or is just something I have to live with?

Thanks.

~Lis

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The error your posted in post #1?

Let's see if QuickPlay is in Startup, and if so, take it out. We can also put it back in if necessary.

Click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG. Go to the Startup tab, browse the list for QPService. If you find it, uncheck it. Click Ok to close MSCONFIG. You'll be prompted to Exit with Restart or Exit Wihtout Restart.

Then the first time you do reboot afer making changes, you'll get a System Configurator message about making changes. There's a checkbox to not see that message again. Check there and then click Ok.

If you don't see it in MSCONFIG, look in the Startup folder in Programs. Click Start, All Programs, Startup. If you see anything about QuickPlay there, right-click over it, Send to, Desktop (create shortcut), then delete the one in Startup.

Reboot. Let us know if the error is still there.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks Linda, that seems to have taken care of things :whistling:
Happy Holidays!

~Lis

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff