Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheat/Dust Problem

• Please log in to reply

kaikura

kaikura

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As of late I have been experiencing problems with my MDG computer desktop. From time to time if I left the system on at night with some form of program running (Bitcomet, download manager, ect) it would display the next morning that it had overheated. That didn’t always happen, however. Just last night I left the computer on with Bitcomet running, as well as a game downloading (I know, I was a fool to do such) and this morning it was off, and will not start up. When I turn it on the fans start running, a green light turns (and remains on) as well as a red light that, in my opinion, looks like a battery. The monitor, when turned on as well, looks ready to start but displays the message “No signal detected”.

This has happened a couple times in the past. All these times I just turned the entire system off, and the next day it was fine, as though nothing had happened. This was also the case approximately one day ago.

Today I decided to open the case up and cleaned it out, thinking it might be a dust/overheating problem. It was rather dusty inside (and I’m choking on such right now), but after I cleaned it and the fan out the computer monitor still displayed the same message. Could it perhaps be a battery problem? I know the computer runs on a lithium. The computer is also very new; runs Windows XP home addition, a 19” BenQ LCD flat screen monitor, and is only two years old, approximately. I’m not sure if it would make sense for the monitor to be the culprit, since it didn’t seem to be deteriorating. Considering the various ignored instances on which the computer had an overheating problem, I still am rather sure it’s some form of hardware error related to the fan or battery. I don’t claim to be an expert of ANY form, though, so I'd rather consult you computer-savvy people to assist me before I do something else that's brainless.

Anyhoo, I’m thinking about taking the computer in to get it checked, but considering the price I was hoping to see if anyone here had anything to add or has any idea what the problem might be.

Thank you for any help and/or suggestions, I will tell you any other information you need on the hardware if necessary.

-JD

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It could be that the processor fan is failing. Do you have any kind of diagnostic software that might have come with the computer? If so, run the fan tests and if the fan fails, it's time to get a new one. If the system is under warranty, be sure to contact MDG technical support to get the replacement.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can do a search for speedfan, download and install it. It is free. Run it to check fan speed and temps. You can access the bios during boot up. Check the CPU temp and fan speed there. You can also get some canned air, blow the dust out of the CPU cooling fan and fins. Make sure the computer is turned off when you do that (and removed from ac power too).

Edited by austin_o, 20 December 2006 - 08:21 AM.