Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Overheat/Dust Problem

  • Please log in to reply



    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
As of late I have been experiencing problems with my MDG computer desktop. From time to time if I left the system on at night with some form of program running (Bitcomet, download manager, ect) it would display the next morning that it had overheated. That didnít always happen, however. Just last night I left the computer on with Bitcomet running, as well as a game downloading (I know, I was a fool to do such) and this morning it was off, and will not start up. When I turn it on the fans start running, a green light turns (and remains on) as well as a red light that, in my opinion, looks like a battery. The monitor, when turned on as well, looks ready to start but displays the message ďNo signal detectedĒ.

This has happened a couple times in the past. All these times I just turned the entire system off, and the next day it was fine, as though nothing had happened. This was also the case approximately one day ago.

Today I decided to open the case up and cleaned it out, thinking it might be a dust/overheating problem. It was rather dusty inside (and Iím choking on such right now), but after I cleaned it and the fan out the computer monitor still displayed the same message. Could it perhaps be a battery problem? I know the computer runs on a lithium. The computer is also very new; runs Windows XP home addition, a 19Ē BenQ LCD flat screen monitor, and is only two years old, approximately. Iím not sure if it would make sense for the monitor to be the culprit, since it didnít seem to be deteriorating. Considering the various ignored instances on which the computer had an overheating problem, I still am rather sure itís some form of hardware error related to the fan or battery. I donít claim to be an expert of ANY form, though, so I'd rather consult you computer-savvy people to assist me before I do something else that's brainless.

Anyhoo, Iím thinking about taking the computer in to get it checked, but considering the price I was hoping to see if anyone here had anything to add or has any idea what the problem might be.

Thank you for any help and/or suggestions, I will tell you any other information you need on the hardware if necessary.

  • 0




    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It could be that the processor fan is failing. Do you have any kind of diagnostic software that might have come with the computer? If so, run the fan tests and if the fan fails, it's time to get a new one. If the system is under warranty, be sure to contact MDG technical support to get the replacement.
  • 0



    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can do a search for speedfan, download and install it. It is free. Run it to check fan speed and temps. You can access the bios during boot up. Check the CPU temp and fan speed there. You can also get some canned air, blow the dust out of the CPU cooling fan and fins. Make sure the computer is turned off when you do that (and removed from ac power too).

Edited by austin_o, 20 December 2006 - 08:21 AM.

  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP