Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearing Drive

• Please log in to reply

termagen

termagen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,
I know a little about computers from what my boyfriend has taught me, but if somebody can please help that will be great :]

I recently removed a CD Drive that was dead, and installed a DVD Drive. The swap-over went fine :]

But when I go to My Computer>
the new DVD Drive is not there..

I go to Control Panel>Add New Hardware, which usually picks it up eventually, it takes about ten minutes, and when in the My Computer> screen, it is there, then 3 seconds later its saying i only have my other CD Drive, and no longer the DVD Drive :/
Then it appears.. and disappears.. and appears.. and disappears.. for about ten minutes.

Does anybody else or has anybody else had a problem like this?
What are some ideas/possible solutions I can try?

I really dont want to re-install the drive, but that is a last resort if need be..

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to check is that the data cable is hooked up and a good tight fit. A loose cable can cause this problem. Replacement cables are pretty cheap at local shops. After that it is usually a internal problem with the dvd drive. RMA(return merchandise authorization) the drive back to where you bought it for a replacement drive if its the problem. It's not worth dealing with for long as they are only$20-30 in price.

SRX660