Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus and Adware Removal info?

• Please log in to reply

twiddled_pink

twiddled_pink

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello :blink: ...

:whistling: I have an issue here. There are so many antivirus software and adware software these days, I'm not sure what one is better. I have been doing comparisons or checking on the site(s) comparison charts of antivirus or adware protection/removal programs.

But they are all stating that they are better than the other guy. Right now I have NOD32 antivirus program, and thus far it has done wonderful, but tho reading even on GTG that there is a trogan that Norton and NOD will not notice.

I've heard of TrendMicro, but unsure about that as well. And I have seen where XoftspySE is better than other adware removal programs.

I use to have Norton, but then told that NOD32 was even better than Norton when it came to having a better list of viruses... But then saw on a comparison chart that Norton is better.

Go figure... I'm not sure anymore and thus why I am here.

I hope that someone can help me figure this out. It would be nice to see a comparison chart that was honest.

Thanks,

Pink

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I cant give you a lot of info on all the different things you could use
but i can tell you what i use works just fine and i havnt had any problems
I use avast, adaware, and ccleaner
avast has worked great for me
i dont even really need adaware b/c i use ccleaner to clean up everything from the internet and it fixes registry problems as well
but if some spyware does get on my comptuer adaware cleans it right up

ronport

ronport

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yo,

Just an anti-virus isn't enough. Spybot S&D is great for trojans and other spyware. AVG and Symantec (Norton Anti-virus) are good. Ad-Aware will get some stuff that Spybot sometimes misses but is mainly for cookies which you can remove in your browser yourself.

Ron

twiddled_pink

twiddled_pink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: Thanks to you both.

Well, I think I will keep what I have (NOD32 and Adaware) and check into the Ccleaner.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Be Safe!

:blink:

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
All above suggestions are very good. For a strong trojan/worm killer get A-Squared. The free version is a great scanner/remover, and the paid version (which I have) is a real-time client that updates hourly to prevent infection. Both available here: http://www.emsisoft....tware/download/
Good luck--1101doc

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
asking which AV is best on this site normally starts WWIII

I like sas and here is a comparison
http://www.kickenhar...read.php?t=3463
but this is only my opinion

also I am not really a fan of norton because I feel that it is the benchmark for malware makers and it is hard to remove needing its own removal tool

Edited by fleamailman, 21 December 2006 - 12:22 PM.