Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2007 spreadsheet won't open

• Please log in to reply

mark.ison

mark.ison

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Stupid me thought recently that it would be a good idea to download Microsoft Office 2007 beta. I Have used this to make a spreadsheet of plain simple text. I am at work now and have tried excel 97 & 2001 and will not open it correctly. Does any one here know how to either extract the information from the file or convert it in some way that will allow me to open it using a previous version of the program. Any help with this would be super!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this article for information on backward compatibility: http://office.micros...0775611033.aspx

Hope this helps.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Re-open the file in the 2007 beta version. Re-save it as an earlier version from the 'save as' menu (select excel 97 or excel 2001 from the 'save as' drop-down list). That copy should open in your older versions at work, with the proviso that if the document you created makes use of any new features in Excel 2007, those features won't be supported in the older versions. But all the original data should be there.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you get this worked out?

mark.ison

mark.ison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have. I reopened it in 2007 and saved it as a 97-03 workbook.

Cheers!