Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Msantos

Msantos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hello,

I have a problem and I hope someone can help. I am setting up a new box with Outlook 2003 and I want to import my emails from the old hard drive that was using outlook express. Here is the problem the one with Outlook express had multiple identites. How do I setup Outlook 2003 identites with all the information for each that would have all data for profiles?

Thanks,

Msantos

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not that familiar with Outlook Express, so bear with me.

Do your OE identities have different email addresses? In Outlook, you can set up multiple mail profiles or you can simply add multiple email addresses to one mail profile. Let me know what the purpose of having multiple identities is in OE and we'll figure out the best way to accomplish it in Outlook.

Here are two articles for your review.

Copy Outlook Express address book contacts to Outlook

Import your messages from Outlook Express to Outlook
(Section: When Outlook and Outlook Express are installed on different computers)

Msantos

Msantos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Wow Thank you for geting back to so soon. My OE has two different identities. The purpose of having two profiles on OE was so that I could get email for personal and work related separate. Now OE has .dbx files and Outlook has .PST files. I have tried to setup Outlook with another identity but could not get the files to import the messages to outlook without importing the Main Identity. I know that Outlook just looks for a OE to import from. I hope this helps.

Thanks
Msantos

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If your personal and work email addresses are different, you could use mail rules to move incoming work email into a different folder from personal email. For instance, you'd add a folder under Inbox called Work. The rule would state that mail sent to that address would be moved to the Work folder. In this scenario you have one mail profile with multiple email accounts. The only draw back is when you send a new email, you must designate which account to send it from (replying to an email automatically uses the address to which the original was sent). But there's also a mail rule to check messages after they're sent (similar to arriving mail), that can move mail sent from a specific account to a different folder. So work email would be moved to the "Sent-Work" folder and personal email would be moved to "Sent-Personal". You can also set up two Contact folders to keep business and personal contacts separate.

Are you saying that when you tried to import the data, that everything for both identities was imported and that you couldn't choose?

Msantos

Msantos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

On the new box I was going to set up the mail to do what you are talking about. When I wanted to import the two different profiles I could not choose between what was going to be imported. It did not import all the files that I wanted. It pulled what is the main identity.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So it only pull items associated with the main identity and nothing for the second indentity?

Look at this article I found on Outlook Express Multiple Identities: http://www.smartcomp...r...&emid=97308

Scroll down to "Transfer Your Mail". It talks about transferring mail from the main identity to a secondary identity, but I believe this is what you need to do in reverse. Transfer everything from the second identity to the main identity, then import into Outlook.

For the secondary identity's address book, you'll probably have to export it, import it back into the main identity, before you can get them into Outlook.

Since you've already imported the items for the main identity, be sure to set the "duplicates" option to "Do not import duplicates".

Does that make sense?