Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Writer Problem

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Recently, I bought a computer from a private owner that already had a DVD player installed. If you need the specs just ask. The OS on it is Windows XP Pro SP2. Upon trying to make sure that everything worked like it was supposed to, I found that hte DVD player would play a DVD, but only the audio of that DVD. It would not show the video. Instead of the video it is supposed to show, it shows a visualization just like it would if i had inserted a CD into the drive. Thinking that it might be a problem with the drive itself, I bought a new DVD drive to put in it. I installed this new drive, hooked it up to the power and IDE cables just like normal, turned the computer on, tested the DVD drive and found that it was doing the same thing. I am using PowerDVD as the player program currently. I know that the DVD is good because it will play on my other computer just fine. I just cannot figure out what is wrong with this thing. I have never run across anything like this before. That being said, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 21 December 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I don't think it is the DVD, it is not having the right codex I think

anyways, I watch almost everything now with vlc because it plays almost anything, it is free too link below but the other idea is to find the right codexes that go with power DVD, have you been to powerDVD's site

vlc
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Edited by fleamailman, 21 December 2006 - 11:30 AM.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks, I downloaded that player program and everything works just fine. I really appreciate the help.