Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Comp XP Install Problem

• Please log in to reply

Zergassassin

Zergassassin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am building a new computer for my girl friend for Christmass and am having trouble installing Windows XP.

Mobo: WinFast 761GXK8MB

Processor: 3700+ 939 Socket AMD 64 - ADA3700BNBOX

RAM: 184-PIN DIMM DDR PC3200 Crucial Balistix

I'm using the onboard video and sound.

After putting all of the components together and hooking everything up, I booted from the XP CD and allowed it to partition the drive. After it does so it prompts the restart, after restarting it goes throught the POST and then I hit a black screen where the windows setup screens should show. Leaving it sit at this screen for a prolonged period of time does not advance anything. I am able to boot up and get into BIOS and have tried many different settings. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if this is the way to go. I had a Athlon 2600 computer i built that just would not install XP no matter what i tried. My fix for it was to install a floppy drive, make a set of 6 floppy disks from the Microsoft program, and use the floppy install method which worked.

When i made the 6 floppy disk set the 3rd floppy was bad and the install failed. I then made a second set of floppy disks from the same exe file and this set was good and windows XP home was installed on the computer.

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

SRX660

Zergassassin

Zergassassin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That didn't work, it got just as far as it did with the disc and then gave me the black screen, thanks for trying. I'm contacting Newegg.com to see if they might think it's the mobo and see if i can return it.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Yeah...Winfast? The motherboard is the single most important part of your machine, it holds everything else together. That's not the place to try to save a few bucks by going with a low end manufacturer.

Zergassassin

Zergassassin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Got it working! :whistling: It turned out to be a motherboard problem that I should have thought of to begin with. The bios was not the most recent version so updating that worked perfectly. I got the "WinFast" motherboard because it was tagged as a Foxconn mobo which is a brand that I normally trust, turns out they're one in the same. Thanks all for the help.