Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes, no BSOD

• Please log in to reply

jchien

jchien

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My desktop seems to be freezing at random. When it freezes, any sounds / music playing will stop, and the screen will stay as it was when it froze. It's a bit weird, I didn't have this problem until I drove home from college (and brought it back with me). I haven't installed anything since, except Intellipoint and Intellitype, Microsoft software for a keyboard and mouse I'm using. I've tried uninstalling both of those, but the freezes still occur.

My initial thought was that one of the RAM sticks may have gone faulty, as I have two 512 MB sticks. However, after trying to run the system with just one stick (I've tried both), it still froze regardless of stick used, and I doubt that both the sticks would go bad at the same time.

Can anyone give me some insight on what the cause of the problem might be? I've been able to cause a freeze 100% of the time by playing Warcraft 3, but note that the computer will also freeze randomly when not playing WC3.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
These may help.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000690.htm

An easy way to determine if your computer is in this situation is by pressing the Num Lock button on the keyboard and watching the Num Lock led (light) to see if it turns off and/or on. If you're able to get the light to turn off and on press CTRL + ALT + DEL and attempt to end task the program.

http://www.computerh...ssues/chtsr.htm

SRX660

jchien

jchien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The keyboard is unresponsive, hitting capslock / numlock doesn't change the LED. It is, a wireless keyboard though, and the LEDs are on the receiver.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok.. We are experiencing hard lockups.

How many sticks of RAM do you have?

Do you have a floppy drive?

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Funny, I have the same prolem. My desktop froze whenever it felt like. I found out that the problem was my Netgear wireless adapter. Installed the latest drivers and everything else but couldnt resolve the problem. Maybe you could find the thread somewhere here - It's called XP Boot Problem (If I remember clearly.)
You could try some of them steps and maybe you'd have better luck.

:whistling:

jchien

jchien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok.. We are experiencing hard lockups.

How many sticks of RAM do you have?

Do you have a floppy drive?

I have two sticks of RAM, both are identical 512 MB sticks and they're normally in a dual channel setup. However, I've tried running in non-dual channel, placed in different slots, and individual sticks, but my computer still crashed in all cases. Yes, I have a floppy drive, but I haven't used it it ages.

Funny, I have the same prolem. My desktop froze whenever it felt like. I found out that the problem was my Netgear wireless adapter. Installed the latest drivers and everything else but couldnt resolve the problem. Maybe you could find the thread somewhere here - It's called XP Boot Problem (If I remember clearly.)
You could try some of them steps and maybe you'd have better luck.

Hmm, come to think of it, I am using a wireless network PCI card. At college I have it disabled and plug directly into my router via cat5, but at home I enabled my wireless, and I didn't have this problem until I got home. However, I use a D-Link card.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Maybe your computer doesn't like the card.

Try a USB adapter instead.

Edited by Yield22, 22 December 2006 - 11:18 PM.

jchien

jchien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I updated the drivers for my PCI wireless card, and it hasn't crashed since. It's been over a day without crashing, so hopefully this solved the problem.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Usually cards have are the problems.. so maybe there updates drivers had a fix for your error.

Please keep me posted and have a good holiday!

jchien

jchien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just following up on this to say I'm pretty sure my problem has been solved by updating my d-link wireless pci card drivers. I have had a few random BSODs in the past days, but I think they're unrelated. Just wanted to say thanks to Zaine for helping me identify the cause of the problem.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
It's all cool. hope you all have a good year and btw merry xmas.