Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to reset computer?

• Please log in to reply

tinuo

tinuo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'd really like to go back to the factory default. Could anyone tell me a way without having to format my hard drive?
(I have HP, Windows XP)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
What do you mean by factory default?

If you mean that you want to go into the BIOS and reset the parameters to the factory defualt settings, that's easy enough to do.

Reboot...go to DEL key just at the end of the first screen and before it disappears, and tap on it

When the BIOS pop up appears open any one of the tabs and you will see at the bottom what you are looking for...do each tab that has the choice ...save all when exiting and reboot.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You could always do a Repair Install.

tinuo

tinuo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Factory default as in erasing the hard drive and making my computer the way it was when I first bought it.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Just pop in your sytem restore disk and follow the directions.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

I'd really like to go back to the factory default. Could anyone tell me a way without having to format my hard drive?

Factory default as in erasing the hard drive and making my computer the way it was when I first bought it.

A reformat and an "erase" of the hard drive are kinda the same thing. Set your system to boot from cd and follow the prompts. Make sure all of the data you want to keep is backed up, including address books, favorite bookmarks, and downloaded programs. If you don't know your product key, use Belarc to find it. Johanna

latiesha lashea parsons

latiesha lashea parsons

• Pip
  • 1 posts
can someone help me i forgot my log in password to get in the administrator account and i want to reset the computer and delete everything how can i do that all i have open is guest but i want to just reset the whole computer i need help asap i have widows xp

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

can someone help me i forgot my log in password to get in the administrator account and i want to reset the computer and delete everything how can i do that all i have open is guest but i want to just reset the whole computer i need help asap i have widows xp

Hi latiesha lashea parsons, welcome to Geeks to Go! Please start a new thread asking how to do this. You might also want to write up a bit more information so that someone can help you better - things like make/model of computer, if you have recovery discs or an XP disc etc...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There is no need for a new thread!!!

He has already received help. Without a password, all thats needed, as already explained, is to put the recovery CD in and follow the instructions.
All data needs to be backed up, unless they do not want it. If the comp has a recovery partition, he can recover from there, which would take it back to factory defaults. (the way it was purchased)