Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'The network did not assign you a network address...'

• Please log in to reply

fiftyseven

fiftyseven

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I finally got round to setting up my LinkSys router. It works fine with the PC downstairs which is wired into it, but i can't get the upstairs computer to connect. After putting in the network key, it connects with 'excellent' strength, but i can't access the net; it says i have 'limited or no connectivity' because 'the network did not assign your PC a network address'. I've been messing with the settings but have no idea how to fix this.

Any help please? :whistling:

Edited by fiftyseven, 22 December 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

Chih

Chih

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This means that you didn't received an IP address from the DHCP server from your router. You will probably need to configure the DHCP server in the router to assign your laptop/computer an IP address. Once your computer get an IP address, you should be alright! Hope this helps.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There are two common reasons that a wireless computer isn't pulling an IP from a home wireless router: interference and encryption.

Encryption is generally the easiest to deal with: Remove any security or encryption from the router, restart your computer, and try connecting again.

fiftyseven

fiftyseven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got it to work. It was the encryption. Thanks.

Elp

Elp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a similar problem but instead of a laptop its a desktop..
Halp please =)

Chih

Chih

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Elp,

If its the encryption problem, then you'll want to match the encryption of the wireless router to the laptop that you have. If its the DHCP problem, you'll want to make sure that the wireless router is handling out the IP address. However, if its interference problem, then you'll want to determine the type of interference and where it is coming from.

Common Encryption on the home routers can be: WEP, WPA, WPA2 (AES)
- Check the type of encryption and key on both ends (router and laptop)