Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

while trying to open one program another attempts to open

• Please log in to reply

simbamojo

simbamojo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help, I installed IE7 the other day and since then, every time I try to open a word doc it automatically trys to install a program already on my comp. The windows installer opens and my create it program for macromedia contribute three opens. This was happening when I opened word docs that were being sent in my email. That has since "cured itself" and now when I right click other programs it will now try to open the same thing happens. Once I cancel the open or install, it will go to the proper screen for right click. Also, the internet is quite a bit slower with IE7 so I just uninstalled it. However, now the upgrade is waiting in the shadows and I cannot figure out how to get it to go away. I am now back to using IE6 but it is still slow. Can anyone help? Also, I am not one hundred percent savvy with the pc so please speak clearly. Thanks

Advertisements

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
If you click on the icon in your taskbar to download and install updates, and uncheck IE7 then tick the box that says ' don't offer these updates again' or something along those lines. As for the speed, i cant help you much there other than suggesting you change to "Firefox" which uses less resources and tends to run quicker.

simbamojo

simbamojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you click on the icon in your taskbar to download and install updates, and uncheck IE7 then tick the box that says ' don't offer these updates again' or something along those lines. As for the speed, i cant help you much there other than suggesting you change to "Firefox" which uses less resources and tends to run quicker.

Pandammonia
Thanks for answering. I had clicked on the icon several times all it did was the same old thing come up with install and blah blah blah...until you suggested to click don't show the install again, duh! Thank you. Now that that is gone.

Any suggestions for getting rid of or fixing the opening program issue. It started out of the blue. Actually it started after the IE7 install and it happened when opening a word doc I regularly have e-mailed to me and have never had problems with. It is opening an install on a program that I have not had opened in about a month. In fact, I had almost all non-essential programs closed when I installed IE7 so it really does not make any sense.

I have been one of those people who has only ever used explorer. Not really sure about using Firefox is it user friendly do I need to uninstall IE or just leave it on the comp?

Thanks again. Sim

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Sim,
Your more than welcome my friend, sometimes small details escape our eyes. :whistling:
As for the program issue... I am unfamiliar with this program so my advice won't be much use to you.

I try to open a word doc it automatically trys to install a program already on my comp. The windows installer opens and my create it program for macromedia contribute three opens.

So what is it trying to install exactly?

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
And as far as the firefox vs ie thing goes. I was the same, but firefox 2.0.0.1 is brilliant. Better than IE and its not so much to get used to. It's quite user friendly. The very first page it will take you to is a help page which is very useful.