Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Empty folders said have files in it

• Please log in to reply

ruthye

ruthye

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi
I was making maintenance in my desktop. I empty all the files in My Documents folders that I save in a disk. now I put a file in the receiving files folder , then I forgot how much kb the file had. so I right click the receiving file folder and the pop up said the file is 359MB. and when I check the file it said is only 345kb. I doble check and stay the same, then I try the other folders and they all have a lot of MB. and they are empty. now my computer is slower than a snail, its took a lot to open a program and when I try to save in the folders, its getting the MB higher no matter they are empty. could someone tell me how I can delete the "invisible MB files" from the empty folders. they are the folders in My Documents.
thanks a lot for any help.
Carmen

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
try to delete from safe mode, if it would help, install far manager and delete folder from there, i think it wouldn't a problem.
http://farmanager.com/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open a folder, click tools, folder options, view, put the dot in show hidden files and folders, click apply

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi
I did it but doesn't show anything. only when I click in the folders properties it saids the MB it has. and I don't know If I can delete the folders and make new ones. cause this is making my computer to be super slow. I think?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open a folder, click tools, folder options, view, untick hide protected system files, click apply, close and re-open the folder

If they were images it could be thumbs, so you could also tick do not cache thumbnails, click apply