Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer .....

• Please log in to reply

mypenry

mypenry

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ive got my first new computer and just been looking through what’s been installed on it by the manufacturer , being new to computers I’m not too sure about the installed items, ive searched some of them, but they seem to be shown on ‘crack’ type web sites ..?
Can any one offer me advice as to what’s useful or not as I want to delete if not useful. This is the list ….( sorry its a bit long )
Its running on Windows XP Pro Media Edition & IE6 ( Non of the programs have yet been activated as I am not too sure how to use them )

WinXP Manager V4.95

WS_FTP Professional 2006.0.1.0 release

Cyberlink Power DVD V6.0.2023.CJL Delux Retail Edition

DivX Player 6.0 ( DVXA)

File.Recovery.Pro.V7.0

GetDataBack.for.FAT v2.31

GetDataBack.for.NTF v2.31

NTI.Ripper. v2.0.0.8 Retail Incl .Keymaker ZWT

Palthai 3.3

Regedit for XP

Slysoft.AnyDVD.v5.8.1.1

Slysoft.CloneCD.v5.2.7.1Multilingual.I

Task.Switcher.Powertoy

TweakUI.2.10.Powertoy

Winamp.Pro.v5.13

WinRAR,v3.51.Final

WinZip.Professional.v10.0.6685

Thanks.................. Mypenry

Advertisements

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hi mypenry,
I see what you mean. Most of these appear to be legitimate programs, however, there are a few strange ones i noticed. Thes are for dvd ripping and such...Cyberlink Power DVD V6.0.2023.CJL Delux Retail Edition, Slysoft.CloneCD.v5.2.7.1Multilingual.I, Slysoft.AnyDVD.v5.8.1.1, DivX Player 6.0 ( DVXA), Cyberlink Power DVD V6.0.2023.CJL Delux Retail Edition, . Some of the others are tweaking tools, to enhance/possibly ruin your pc. While being legitimate programs they could also contain viruses/trojans etc. The others id be very wary of...
It appears you have no anti virus software on your pc, may i suggest you download and install avast from www.avast.com , its free and it's one of the best and very easy to use. Install it and do a boot time scan with it.
I wouldn't go opening Palthai 3.3, or NTI.Ripper. v2.0.0.8 Retail Incl .Keymaker ZWT, as these look very suspicious to me. Perhaps upload the files to virustotal , www.virustotal.com

mypenry

mypenry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks ...pandammonia

The programs shown on the list are ones not activated by me yet, but the computer has many other programs allready running normally inc AVG -Antispy, NOD32 Etc, I found thesae programs on my ( E ) drive
I just wondered if any of the listed programes would be of use , and then activate them ...? could I use one of my scanning programs to check them out in any way before actvating them...?

Thanks................ Mypenry

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Id also steer clear of the following and upload the files for scanning...

File.Recovery.Pro.V7.0

GetDataBack.for.FAT v2.31

GetDataBack.for.NTF v2.31

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
As i said, all these are for dvd ripping and can come in handy if you want to do such tasks...

Cyberlink Power DVD V6.0.2023.CJL Delux Retail Edition, Slysoft.CloneCD.v5.2.7.1Multilingual.I, Slysoft.AnyDVD.v5.8.1.1, DivX Player 6.0 ( DVXA),

Winamp.Pro.v5.13 - is a media player. It depends which player you prefer.

WinRAR,v3.51.Final - is a compressing tool. Useful for combining multiple files into one compressed file.

WinZip.Professional.v10.0.6685 - also compressing tool. But it 'zips' files instead of 'packing' them.

Task.Switcher.Powertoy & TweakUI.2.10.Powertoy are tolls for enhancing/destroying your pc's performance. I have never personally used these so cant really advise.

All the others look VERY SUSPICIOUS to me and as i suggested i would find the .exe file for each one and upload it to virustotal for scanning. Follow instructions at www.virustotal.com . I googled them and yes as you said most only appear on crack websites that indicated bad downloads.

mypenry

mypenry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks....pandammonia
I will upload the programs to www.virustotal.com and post the results, so many thanks for your advice.....

Mypenry

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
You are more than welcome.
You also mentioned before you had avg anti-spyware and nod32 installed. I would run both of these programs , nod32 first, then avg, as a first step.
But you were very right to check about these suspicious programs. Prevention is always better than cure,