Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taskbar troubles + Slow Startup (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Alright, well, my Toshiba Satellite R20 with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition has started acting up. First of all, it takes a long time to apply my settings, then it just displays the background image for about 4 -5 minutes. Then, the desktop icons appear, but there is still no taskbar. If I go CTRL + ALT + DEL, then goto Start a new task and type "explorer.exe" then the taskbar shows up. But, it's all out of order. Either the Tablet PC Input button takes up the whole thing and I can't resize it, or the Norton Protection Center box is right beside the start button, and nothing else can appear.

I'd really like to avoid a complete reinstall, and my PC didn't ship with a Windows XP CD, it was preinstalled. It did however come with a Toshiba Recovery CD, but I think it only works with a full wipe.

Microsoft suggested a clean boot of XP and then to uninstall the driver that's causing the trouble, but how do I tell which driver is causing the trouble?

Edited by ShadowPhoenix, 28 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.

Advertisements

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
UPDATE: Here's my system info and some screenshots of my troubles (in chronological order)

Microsoft Windows XP
Tablet PC Edition 2005
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel Centrino Duo (T2300) @ 1.66 GHz
0.99 GB of RAM (1GB installed... It used to be displayed as 1GB)

One <-- Notice the greyed out "Lock the Taskbar" option
Two <-- This is supposed to show three open windows, but none are there
Three <-- Notice the Tablet PC Input button is taking up all the free taskbar space. I am unable to edit how long it is.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix, 23 December 2006 - 10:10 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi ShadowPhoenix! Welcome to G2G!

I am betting that you have Norton Internet Security installed and that could be causing all the of problems you are having. What I suggest you do is uninstall everything related to Norton in your Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel. Make sure you get the LiveUpdate and LiveReg ones as well if they are listed. You will probably have to reboot a couple of times when uninstalling them. Once they are completely uninstalled (aka nothing related to Norton is left in Add/Remove List) then go to http://free.grisoft.com and download the free version of AVG antivirus to make sure you are protected against viruses.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU VISIT NO SITES OTHER THEN THE ONE LISTED ABOVE BEFORE YOU HAVE THE AVG ANTIVIRUS INSTALLED!!!!!

Once you have done all that, post back here with how your machine is running and we can get started on getting you a software firewall program if you so desire the need for one.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 December 2006 - 10:30 PM.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
But, I need a decent antivirus/firewall in order to connect to my school's network (it's a virus breeding ground). Is there any option other than getting rid of Norton Internet Security?

I have it running on another machine, and I've never had a problem with it...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Trust me Norton is not a good Antivirus program. AVG is ALOT better then Norton. And I said we would work on the software firewall after you have done what I suggested you do in my previous post. Many GOOD & FREE software firewall programs out there. Two off-hand being Kerio and Sygate.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 December 2006 - 10:36 PM.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Really? Then why did CNet and a few other sites reccomend it?

It's been fine until a few days ago...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I don't give out bad information. What I said about Norton being a piece of a four-letter-word is correct, but it is up to you if you want to heed that advice or not.

Fenor

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
And I thank you.

But it had done this a few times before I got NIS.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

And I thank you.

But it had done this a few times before I got NIS.

NIS comes preinstalled on that laptop so you always had it installed. I am not going to try to help someone who doesn't want to listen to my advice. You came here looking for help, but when you get it you immediately think that advice is wrong. If you are so sure of that, then you should be able to solve your problem yourself.

Good day.

Fenor

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I was just asking further questions, I'm not disregarding your advice.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
NIS can run fine on one computer and cripple another. The 4-5 minute delay at startup is norton doing a pre-os load virus scan and the taskbar not showing is the result of said scan.

Fenor

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, now I see what you mean.

If I were to disable active scanning during startup, then re-enable it afterwards, would that help?

Or would a re-install help?

Or should I just shut the [bleep] up and get a different antivirus program, like perhaps Panda Internet Security?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you are so adamant of keeping NIS, then lets look at other things first before you decide whether to believe Norton is the culprit....

Lets take a look at what is starting up when your computer does. Please download HiJackThis from HERE . Install it, and once installed run the program. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...On the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You need not check either of the boxes next to this button.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Or should I just shut the [bleep] up and get a different antivirus program, like perhaps Panda Internet Security?

DO NOT GET ANY KIND OF PROGRAM WITH THE WORD INTERNET SECURITY IN IT! They are all horrible. If you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing, then you can inadvertently turn off your Internet, make programs unable to run or worse. Just get a seperate Antivirus program (like I said AVG is great, but if you need to pay for one then I suggest you get NOD32) and Software Firewall program (like Kerio or Sygate like I said). They are both free. If you need to get other people's thoughts on those programs, then click on the LIVE CHAT! link on the top of the page and ask in the channel what people think about those and more importantly what they think about NIS or any other Internet Security program for that matter. I am always in that chatroom. I may not necessarily 'be there,' but I come around frequently. I am in it right now.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 December 2006 - 10:56 PM.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, so I should go for the separate antivirus and firewall software option.

The log is attached (I hope).

Attached Files