Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network adapters are "Unknown Devices"

• Please log in to reply

jovertree

jovertree

• Pip
  • 5 posts
All the network adapters are marked as "Unknown Device" types in Device Manager. Also, all the connections, except dial-up are missing. The network continues to work normally, however. The only solution that eMachines tech support can give is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything new. I have done that three times in the last month, only to have the problem recur 3 or 4 days later. I have run Microsoft AntiSpyware and Norton AntiVirus, with no hits. The event log does not show an error relating to this problem. The network wizard says that no NICs are installed.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
If this is not causing a problem don't "fix it".

If you want to tempt fate, go into device mangager and delete all devices. Restart the computer and reinstall using plug and play. Good luck.

jovertree

jovertree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried that to no avail...I'm worried that this is a symptom of something more serious.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
It sounds like everything is working, but if you think there is a problem, please send a HJT result for one of the experts to evaluate.