Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean install problems

• Please log in to reply

oleman

oleman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Hopefully someone can help a nob with what is probably a simple problem for you guys but major for me..

I had a problem sometime back with a trojan virus but my pc seemed to be working ok untill recently.. On startup my primary internal drive would repeatidly click like it was engageing and disengageing. Thinking that the drive was just old and worn out I bought a new drive and proceded to load xp pro only to find thet when i got to where the welcome page was supposed to open it failed to do so and reboted, This time allowing me to access command prompt where it told me that my radeion 8500 display driver "ATI2DVAG.dll" was missing.

I installed the old drive and did a search and found that it was showing to be there as a sys 32 file and yes I'm current with windows updates.. Is it possile to remove this file and replace it with another one? I still have my instilation disk for my video card so if necessary can I completely remove it and reload the complete disk.

Thanks in advance,
oleman

Here's a log file from where i removed the infection..

---------------------------------------------------------
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 11:45:25 AM 12/23/2006

+ Scan result:

D:\WINDOWS\system\DRIVER\h.exe -> Logger.Small.dx : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

::Report end

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi oleman...

Uninstall the current drivers (if there are any installed) and then reinstall the drivers from the cd that came with the card.

wannabe1

oleman

oleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks wannabe1,

I removed all traces of my video card (avi radieon 8500dv) and ran the install disc, Went too win update and it showed an ati driver update but the size was "0kb".

I tried a clean install on the new drive again and got the same result.. display driver missing..