Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a restricted access subsite

• Please log in to reply

amielenise

amielenise

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all and Merry Christmas! :help:

I, a self-taught one, built a site and have been trying to create a restricted section for members only. My main site was a template modified in Dreamweaver.

My concern: I have been trying to create a restricted access subsite with FrontPage 2003 (with the 2002 Server Extensions, not the Sharepoint business). It was working fine when I first made it and then for some reason now when I try to test it, it refuses to recognize my test usernames or passwords, can't tell which or why!

So I deleted the first subsite and rebuilt it. No cigar! Keeps saying "Authorization Required." Grrrr!!! :whistling: Is it that Frontpage and FTP are not compatible to use together? I thought that had been resolved!

I am ready to completely scrap this FrontPage method, because I have been fiddling with this thing for far too long! :blink:

Someone please help! I appreciate all that is done here, and any assistance (even starting from scratch) would be gratefully received! TIA!

Edited by amielenise, 25 December 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
There is an article here on how to use FrontPage to create a restricted area of your site:
http://support.micro...-...514&sid=138

If you have more questions, someone with some more FrontPage expertise will be sure to stop by (I'm not a huge FrontPage fan and don't use it myself).

Happy Holidays :whistling:

- Matt

amielenise

amielenise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for responding! the article you referenced is the article i have been using to build the restricted subsite, but alas, something is not working. that means i am by no means tied to frontpage, so if there is another way to do it, by all means i am open to using it!

TIA!

Edited by amielenise, 26 December 2006 - 12:05 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You can try .htaccess password protection

http://www.javascrip...htaccess3.shtml

Else you could look into something like is used on the forum to let only members post. I am working on such a system right now for something one of the admins here is putting together.

Narut.Haruno

Narut.Haruno

• Pip
  • 6 posts
you can just get a forum, then ppl have to sign up there, to download objects.
well, that worked for me.