Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton removal, please help!

• Please log in to reply

Robleh

Robleh

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I got my Acer laptop about three monthes ago, and it came with, among other things, windows xp home and also Norton Anti-virus 2006 for three months. Now, a couple of days ago I bought a Corel Wordperfect office 2003 copy and it also came with a 3 months subscription of Norton 2006, which i chose not to install. The thing is, my subscription to the norton previously installed is about to expire and, i was wondering if it was possible to uninstall it and replace it with the one that came with Corel, so i can get an extra 3 months (after all I payed for it!!). If the answer is yes, do i do it through the "Add and remove" command in the Control panel? Will it completely get removed? Or will i have remains that will eventually slow down my computer?

Advertisements

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Answer is yes.. Just shut down Norton then go to add and remove programs and uninstall it.. After reboot you can remove any traces, files of Norton or known as Symantec.

I do this a lot with new computers my customers buy.. They want Norton out and another anti-virus installed.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts

If the answer is yes, do i do it through the "Add and remove" command in the Control panel? Will it completely get removed? Or will i have remains that will eventually slow down my computer?

To remove Norton, Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel
double click on Add/Remove Programs, search for every item that belongs to Norton, Symantec, or LiveUpdate and remove them, reboot when prompt, or reboot manually if your computer hasn't automatically rebooted. To remove the leftovers download and run the Norton Removal Tool, read HERE

tfinke78

tfinke78

• Pip
  • 3 posts

If the answer is yes, do i do it through the "Add and remove" command in the Control panel? Will it completely get removed? Or will i have remains that will eventually slow down my computer?

To remove Norton, Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel
double click on Add/Remove Programs, search for every item that belongs to Norton, Symantec, or LiveUpdate and remove them, reboot when prompt, or reboot manually if your computer hasn't automatically rebooted. To remove the leftovers download and run the Norton Removal Tool, read HERE

Have you heard of residual problems with internet connections not working after uninstalling Norton Personal Firewall using the "add/remove" method or the Norton removal tool?
Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this on the PC

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use. We actually tested it on a test machine that was having a Winsock problem due to some Adware removal, and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yes, you may experience connection problems after removing Norton via Add/Remove. I tried to remove Norton a few weeks ago from my system and could not connect to the Internet until I had reinstalled Norton (06). If I were you, I would install the other Norton right overtop the one you have, and check to make sure you were "given credit" for the next 90 days by double clicking on the icon in the Notification Area and checking your subscription status. Post back if you have problems.
Johanna

tfinke78

tfinke78

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Johanna
I actually own the version of Norton Personal Firewall 06, but uninstalled it as it kept giving me sudden problems with rule and weird intrusion pop ups where it did not adhere to the answer I gave it (allow always or create auto rule, etc). When I unistalled it I had those problems with internet connectivity and was forced to reinstall it. The pop up problems persist and Norton help suggestions have not resolved the issue and getting a live person to understand your problem has not worked either.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
tfinke78
Norton's support service has acquired a poor reputation. If you uninstall Norton, can you use Keith's suggestion to restore your Internet connection? (Run the XP firewall in the interim while online without a third party firewall.) The first thing any Symantec (Norton) service does is tell you to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall, and you have already tried that with no success (lost Internet connection). Unfortunately, Norton tends to be so intermingled with the OS that a reformat is the quickest most sure fire way to zap Norton for once and for all. It is also pretty drastic. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions.
Johanna